Anyone else feel wierd about smoking an estate pipe?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

andrew

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
It's another more politically correct form of bug chasing. I wonder how people feel about using estate straight razors?

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
What is "bug chasing"?
Nevermind. I looked it up (and wish I hadn't). There just isn't enough brain bleach...

pruss

Lifer
Feb 6, 2013
Mytown
Sorry but I wouldn't eat at a restaurant that reuses wooden spoons especially if patrons of the place would hold them in this mouths for an extended amount of time allowing their saliva to enter the wood then only cleaning them with a cloth towel Lolz. I can already see saliva oozing down the pipe in the profile pic above lol.
Nor would any person worried about food borne illness or communicable diseases. Fortunately, your example isn't likely to occur to the well educated estate pipe buyer.
First, briar is significantly harder, denser, and less likely to absorb moisture and harbour microbes and pathogens than other woods.
Second, I don't know many who would recommend you smoke an estate pipe that hasn't been properly refurbished and sanitized.
Please note, I'm not trying to dismiss your fears... I'm just pointing out that the picture you've painted, while poetic, isn't par for the course with estate buying.
-- Pat

ottorank56

Lurker
Oct 4, 2015
Yeah, I had misgivings. But they are steralized thoroughly. I would think that my estate pipe was formerly smoked by Raquel Welch, and that helped.

hextor

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 20, 2015
I think it will be less creepy if the stems gets changed, I don't find it creepy, if I were to die, I would rather give my pipes to someone that will get good use of them, I have read also that some brick and mortar shops have a machine that sanitize the pipe completely.

ottorank56

Lurker
Oct 4, 2015
I am using Playtex Binkies now in lieu of pipes. Pacifying, although you do get a few strange looks,mainly from women over 50. Still, beats the scorn of most everyone smoking a bowl of even red amphora.

ottorank56

Lurker
Oct 4, 2015
If only a famous brother of the briar could be mediazized with a playtex Binkie, I would be more accepted. It does look funny at present and sends maybe a misconception.It needs to be legitimized as theraphy for PTSD.

kanse

Jul 9, 2016
I think most of you people forgot that stems are made of Vulcanite and Acryl, not of wood...

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
This is awesome. This is like saying, "I don't really feel comfortable dancing on this grave" and having people reply, "Why? There's no cow shit on it".

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
Wouldn't think of smoking castoff pipes. I would only consider purchasing a used pipe if such was of proven historical significance. I would leave it untouched and would not consider smoking it. I worked long and hard to get where I am today, I no longer buy used cars, houses, etc.
However, if someone enjoys or can only afford used pipes more power to 'em. Same for the guys who have figured out a way to make a buck reconditioning used pipes and then selling them. Just not my "cup o'tea".

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
@Warren- Exactly. Never been more of a case of "to each their own".
@Jackswilling- If you're asking me, it's because in my view, being called "effete" is a damnable insult to one's character. Look it up- to me it's no compliment.

Jun 4, 2014
To each their own. I personally don't have a problem with smoking an estate pipe, if its not your cup of tea then that ok too.

tmb152

Can't Leave
Apr 26, 2016
Most of my pipes are estates. Some were barely smoked once. Most were super clean upon arrival. All got the cleaning of their lives afterwards. Guaranteed nothing could survive my cleaning. Took some down to the raw wood and refinished from the ground up! Got most at 1/10th their cost if bought new.

hmhaines

Sep 5, 2016
CT
I'm an antique tool guy: I've got a collection of pliers, hammers, blowtorches and more. These aren't display pieces, they work for me. Most have been purchased at flea markets, tag sales, etc.
I enjoy the history behind the tools, knowing they've done something in their time on this planet.
However, I am a wee bit iffy on estate pipes. Haven't bought a "dead man's pipe" yet, but I can understand the issue, being uncomfortable using it. We'll see.

bobwills

Lurker
Jan 25, 2016
Thank you for all the responses. It's good to know that I'm not the only one a little creeped out by it.

Status
Not open for further replies.