PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I've always needed a lot of alone time, and luckily managed to combine that with work, writing and editing

in the biosciences, but more for a lay audience. People do fascinate me, though one party every four to six

months will hold me, if that. However, I had to re-learn a lot for love of my wife. (Teddy, I also lost her, in

2,000.) My second wife, a friend from long ago with whom I re-united, is also a fine people person, but also

a big reader, gardener, etc. Youngsmoker, I think you will find, as you mature, that you feel somewhat less

stressed by other people and their differences from you. Even the ones who are overbearing, you will see are

vulnerable and wanting your tolerance if not friendship, too. On the other hand, give yourself the time you

need alone, or with those closest to you. We'll never be big talkers working the room and retaining dozens

of faces and names. You have to play to your own talents, and share them with others without trying to be

someone you are not.

tslex

Lifer
Jun 23, 2011
Interesting.
I am an INTJ as well. (Have done the MB test perhaps four times over 20 years and ALWAYS score in that block by a significant degree.)
I would not say that I am anti-social -- in fact I enjoy time spent with friends as much as anything. But what I do have is a very low tolerance for small talk, or for superficial interactions with strangers. (I'm sure I'd have a more successful practice in some ways if I were a bit better at "networking," a subset of that sort of behaviour.)
So REAL or meaningful social interactions -- yes. Casual or superficial ones -- no.
Classic example, I'd rather give a party for friends, than attend a party at someone else's place.

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
Should social-media (I.e. facebook, twitter, etc.) be added to that statement, Brian?
Great question. If you want my opinion, absolutely. It’s actually very interesting to track the evolution of things since Network came out in the late ‘70s. At that time it was seen as satire, but the rise of “infotainment” and the cynical manipulation of the public through the corporate media has become so over the top now that it makes Network obsolete.
As for “social media”, I see it as essentially the internet version of the TV “reality shows”. There were always talent shows in the past, but they were small in proportion to what regular programming used to be...and usually not on during prime time hours. The rise of things such as “American Idol” (I start to feel nauseous just typing that) as well as “social media” IMO, reflects the vastly increased narcissism of the general public over the years...which in turn is a reflection of the corporatization of everything. Legally, corporations are “persons”...and there is no better example of a putridly malignant narcissist than the “person” that is the mega-corporation. But I digress.
The audience now wants the camera turned on THEM...and this is exactly what the “programming” they’ve been under for so long now was leading them to. It’s not that the medium itself is bad...we could be having this conversation on FB as easily as here...but rather that high-tech, whether it’s TV or the web, greatly amplifies the general unconscious condition. (I personally don’t use FB only because I don’t want to support the corporate power behind it).
The next step is probably something like The Running Man...a high-tech return to the Roman Coliseums. The only answer, imo, is that we reach a critical mass of people who become more consciously aware and stop being content to go through life in a subconscious, hypnotic state. But they first have to recognize that they’re in that state...most never will. It’s not a coincidence that vampires and zombies are so absurdly popular these days...and that vampires are seen as cool and sexy instead of evil as they once were. That comes straight out of the mass subconscious, and is a reflection of the general condition of society.
I try to be INTJ as much as possible...Into Truth and Justice...but it’s definitely socially awkward.
“The sin to be repented of course, is unconsciousness.” – Carl Jung
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ceegnWSENQ

auspipe

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 19, 2012
Australia
I find it hard to relate to many people my age, alot of them seem to be quite immature and incapable of basic things such as cleaning, cooking etc. I also do not use social media, no interest in it whatsoever, and I am certainly not looking forward to another 60 odd years in this world with the way it seems to be heading.

phred

Lifer
Dec 11, 2012
Should social-media (I.e. facebook, twitter, etc.) be added to that statement, Brian?
The rise of the Internet is a two-edged sword. On the one hand, absolutely - witness the number of news-related blogs run by "citizen journalists" (most of whom have no training in actual journalism or writing). There's a growing and worrisome trend toward filtering one's intake of news this way, leading to increased levels of confirmation bias and a weird sort of 'reality distortion field' where one only receives information that's filtered to agree with preconceived notions. Not a good thing.
On the other hand, the Internet has allowed people who share interests to find others who likewise share those interests - as with this forum. I've only been here for a few months, but I've seen post after post from people who are evidently the only pipe smoker in their immediate vicinity. Finding others to talk to online has been a boon for introverts looking for a way to express themselves without actually having to deal with other people up close and personal-like. :D
Which opens a whole 'nother can of worms, of course...

dragonslayer

Lifer
Dec 28, 2012
Pittsburgh
20 years of dealing with total idiots from Pittsburgh to Hawaii. Then worldwide when the Internet was in it's infancy, 6-7 days a week, 10+ hours a day... And people wonder why I love my man cave. Took 3 years (shrink)to get used to not being "on call" to 100's of people. The freedom of solitude and personal whimsy are worth more than any check cashed. No regrets for either, but in this stage of my life being a hermit is not really anti-social, I just stay away from people (not family) about 350 days a year. 8)

Status
Not open for further replies.