PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

tmcg81

Part of the Furniture Now
May 8, 2020
NJ
I like black tea, but I kinda wish it was a little stronger tasting. I haven't tried two bags at once, but is there a really strong black tea out there?

NightSkyFlash

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 1, 2023
Chicago, IL
I like black tea, but I kinda wish it was a little stronger tasting. I haven't tried two bags at once, but is there a really strong black tea out there?

Oh yeah - there’s some really good stuff out there, particularly at Adagio Teas. I would try some of their sampler packs.

Some of the sampler packs you might enjoy are:

Oolong Teas of China Gift Sampler - https://www.adagio.com/gifts/oolong_teas_of_china_gift_sampler.html (currently out of stock but coming in mid-July)

For example, just yesterday, I discovered one really interesting tea out of the sampler pack from the first link - Lapsang Souchong. If you’ve ever had Laphroaig Scotch whiskey, you’re familiar with its very strong, peaty smell and taste. Lapsang Souchong is the “Laphroaig of tea”. It is quite the experience.

My absolute favorite tea from Adagio is Golden Needle Yunnan. It’s a little pricey, but so worth it. It’s like a toasted tea. My 23yo daughter refers to it as “the good tea.”

If you message me your email, I can send you a referral to Adagio and they’ll send you four sample teas for free - you pick from a list what you’d like to try.

pantsBoots

Lifer
Jul 21, 2020
Terra Firma
I will second Adagio tea. While not a tea snob or even incredibly experienced, I bought a box full of sample packs from them to finally determine whether all black tea is the same or not. Conclusion: it is not.

I think I still prefer second flush Darjeeling as my black tea of choice.

Lapsang Souchong mixed 50:50 with Keemun makes a damned good tea.

Golden Needle Yunnan is a gem, as is Assam.

I still like Gunpowder Pearls and Sencha as my green teas of choice.

Just like with pipe tobacco, it has been fun exploring what teas are out there, and I definitely find myself gravitating towards certain ones.

Reactions: NightSkyFlash

Pooh-Bah

Can't Leave
Apr 21, 2023
Central Maryland
Years ago, when I was doing some ESL tutoring at the county library, there was a little table for people to leave snacks from their homelands.
I snagged a bag (4 oz? 8 oz?) of Russian tea off it once.

It was great, and I lament that I didn't keep the bag because I've learned the Cyrillic alphabet since then, and want some more of it! Was like, a black tea with some some sort of small fruit chunks in it.

dsturg369

Can't Leave
May 9, 2009
Augusta, GA
Aside from iced tea, which I have been drinking since I was knee high to a grasshopper, I just recently got into the different blends. Really enjoying the journey so far.. Oolong, Darjeeling, and even green teas now grace my bin.

crashthegrey

Lifer
Dec 18, 2015
Cobleskill, NY
www.greywoodie.com
I drink tea like it's my job. I love puerh and cellar a lot of that. Yunnan black teas are wonderful, as well as the classic breakfasts and afternoons. I dig oolong but it's more of an occasional thing. I drink everything, though. I have a large tea cabinet in the kitchen and a tea room full of the stuff aging or to refill. Most loose leaf I buy by the pound and refill my canisters. Adagio is my mainline and Yunnan Sourcing for puerh.

Jul 26, 2021
Metro-Detroit
Dear tea enthusiasts:

I am a caffeine junkie looking for suggestions on a high caffeinated tea that can be purchased in the States, ideally at a grocery store (Meijer, Kroger). I enjoy iced and green teas and would like to cut back on coffee for a change of pace.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Regards,

Amish

Pooh-Bah

Can't Leave
Apr 21, 2023
Central Maryland
Dear tea enthusiasts:

I am a caffeine junkie looking for suggestions on a high caffeinated tea that can be purchased in the States, ideally at a grocery store (Meijer, Kroger). I enjoy iced and green teas and would like to cut back on coffee for a change of pace.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Regards,

Amish
It's not technically tea, and availability might be spotty at brick-and-mortars but you can get a kilo of yerba mate online for like twelve bucks.
About as much caffeine as coffee I believe, kind of like green tea.

G

Gimlet

I forgot about green tea. I drink a lot of that through the day, especially at work. I like the lemon version as well.
Don't drink caffeine after 4:00 pm.
Occasionally drink chamomile tea in the evening.

Feb 12, 2022
North Georgia mountains.
I drink alot of tea now. Always enjoyed sweet tea, being a southerner. And I grew up with a mom who made tea in the winter and cooler season. As an adult, I used to just drink whatever my wife had in the house, but over the past year I've really gotten into tea (coffee and espresso is a very expensive hobby. Tea, not as bad). My daily is Titanic Tea but I also love red and blacks. I'm starting to explore loose leaf Chinese teas and others, with the help of @Ben.R.C and others. It's been quite an enjoyable journey and has helped me cut back on coffee, therefore saving money (at least on beans).

Buckeyestime

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 1, 2023
Stuck between WI and IL
Some Earl Grey or Irish/English breakfast tea is a nice change up from black coffee for me.

The fancier and exotic ones sound great, but I think they escape my palate at this point.

Sigmund

Lifer
Sep 17, 2023
France
Just had a cup
Plain old black tea with a bit of milk and sugar
Never cared for the topping on Earl Grey but I may give it another spin