PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Groot5225

Might Stick Around
Feb 3, 2023
Do yourself a favor and get a Zojirushi rice cooker. It makes the best rice. We’ve had ours for half a decade already and honestly the rice comes out better than restaurant rice. Yes it’s pricey but well worth it.

Reactions: renfield

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
I looked up every model suggested above and their prices and the difference from £ to $ for essentially the same product is damned shocking.

I don't eat rice too often partially due to effort involved in prep and cleaning up afterwards (I can't stand for much over 2 minutes without severe discomfort) but I reckon if I had an automatic cooker then I might eat it more often.

The Zojirushi cookers look to be good but mighty expensive.....from £166 to £339 which is rather more that I planned on lashing out.

And yes, I ALWAYS wash my basmati rice several times afore cooking.

Thanks for the tips & suggestions guys.....the search continues.

Jay.

Reactions: renfield

boston

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 27, 2018
Boston
This cost $40 back in '13.

Aroma Housewares Select Stainless Rice Cooker & Warmer with Uncoated Inner Pot, 14-Cup(cooked) / 3Qt, ARC-757SG Amazon.com - https://a.co/d/3BEJZaE

Use it several times a month, foolproof for me. Had a similar one for 20 years prior to this one... don't recall why I replaced it...must have finally broke. Everything is SO expensive now!

Reactions: mawnansmiff

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
Well guys I just ordered the odd looking Yum Asia Sakura cooker with 8 cup/1.5 litre capacity.

Living on my own I was tempted to go for the smaller 3.5 cup model but went for the larger one as I thought it might be better made. It also has a few extra features though I doubt I'll attempt making a cake in it :oops:

Ease of use and easy cleaning were major factors in my choice. Now I need to order some basmati & jasmine rice (never tried the latter).

Thanks for the tips guys, always useful to hear other folk's opinions 👍

Jay.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
Well my 'Yum Asia Sakura' (who thinks up these names?) arrived and sat on my kitchen counter for several days before I got around to trying it out.

First attempt was OK ish but the rice came out a bit on the hard side (I followed their directions to the letter). The second attempt was much better as I added a bit of extra water and the rice was nigh on perfect.

I like the keep warm feature which according to the instructions can keep the rice warm for up to 24 hours but I don't like the idea of eating 24 hour old rice, an hour or two yes, no problem.

I now realise I could have got away with the smaller 3 1/2 cup model as I live alone but hey ho, there we go.

One thing struck me as odd, their idea of one portion of rice no way tallies with my idea of one portion of rice. Their one portion would almost do me two servings!

Thanks again guys for the tips.

Jay.

Andriko

Can't Leave
Nov 8, 2021
London
A pot with a lid on the stove. Rice is easy once you figure out the ratio and technique. Rule number one. Never stir rice when cooking it. Never.

I am going to second this. A rice cooker is just another piece of junk for the kitchen that on serves one purpose. It's pretty easy to do it in a normal pot and takes about 10 minutes. As Sigmund says, the real secret is never to stir it.

JackOrion

Can't Leave
Feb 3, 2023
West Yonkers California
1703700835189.jpeg
I use this 2qt All-clad for rice.
Usually I make jasmine or some sort of basmati. Simply follow the instructions on the packaging. The one tip I do is after it comes off the heat, you’re instructed to let it sit for ten minutes before fluffing and serving, I do this with the lid off for a drier rice.

Reactions: mawnansmiff