PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

psychpipes

Can't Leave
Sep 4, 2013
Nature Coast of Florida
Hey Folks,

I picked up a pair of shamrocks on eBay that I’m looking to restore. I thought about doing them myself, but I’m a bit worried about whether or not I’ll mess them up in the process. They have a lot going for them but it’s the rims and the bowls I’m worried about. Anyone have any recommendations for someone good? 123521235312354

Reactions: diamondback

burleyboy

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 30, 2019
Europe
Those two do not look like severe cases to me. You would probably have success cleaning the rims with wet paper towels. Another useful tool for charred rims, that I use, is an electric toothbrush. The chambers should be treated with a reamer tool of your choice.

I'd recommend to do it yourself. Cleaning up estates can be a rewarding and satisfying part of the pipe hobby.

diamondback

Lifer
Feb 22, 2019
Rockvale, TN
I like both of those. Nice score :) They’ll look right smart spiffed up, a fine addition to any collection indeed.

Don’t know what his turnaround time is, but from what I understand member @piffyr is extremely skilled and has quite the following re his restoration work.

Reactions: burleyboy and BROBS

psychpipes

Can't Leave
Sep 4, 2013
Nature Coast of Florida
Thanks for the recommendations and advice. I got the pair for $40 on eBay. I planned on giving the pot to my dad and the other for me. I’ve done some minor restorations myself. I think I’ll try the one for me myself, and depending on how it goes take the appropriate step for the one for my dad.

mikethompson

Lifer
Jun 26, 2016
Near Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Thanks for the recommendations and advice. I got the pair for $40 on eBay. I planned on giving the pot to my dad and the other for me. I’ve done some minor restorations myself. I think I’ll try the one for me myself, and depending on how it goes take the appropriate step for the one for my dad.

Good plan! Those look like solid pipes. There are plenty of members who restore pipes and were invaluable to me when I was starting. I've done several, and am always learning.

Ask questions, ask questions, ask questions. If you don't know something, ask questions. You will be surprised how rewarding it is to bring back an old piece of briar into something beautiful. Good luck!

Humblepipe

Lifer
Sep 13, 2019
Guerneville, CA
As has been said, definitely use a reaming tool. I got a 5 Piece set on Amazon a while back for under $20. Good purchase, if you plan on making more EBeast purchases (I am doing that far too often).

For the rim, I have had excellent success with mineral oil and #0000 steel wool. Makes quick work of the mess on the rim. Mineral oil is not corrosive and #0000 steel wool is so fine, it's not aggressive enough to do damage.

Reactions: blues4goose
Status
Not open for further replies.