Any Recommendations for a Struggling Ciggy Smoker?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Accessories
3 Fresh Scottie Piersel Pipes
36 Fresh Estate Pipes
2 Fresh Il Duca Pipes
18 Fresh Ropp Pipes

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Crawley1066

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 14, 2014
United Kingdom
www.jpcleather.com
EDIT: Fixed Capitalization in Title (See Rule 9)

Hi all!

Been lurking a while and haven’t posted in ages but this is a great resource and I wondered if you might be able to help a chap out?

I’ll start by saying I much prefer the pipe to the cigarettes I’ve been stuck with for years. My goal is to get off the roll-ups full stop and get rid of that nicotine craving, but I do really enjoy a pipe and wondered if there are any tobaccos you’d recommend to help make the transition?

If it helps, I’ve always smoked menthol filters (don’t necessarily like menthol per se, but I most enjoy a smooth smoke and they seem to help give that). Pipe wise, I’ve enjoyed aromatics (Peterson’s sunset breeze was nice) but they seem to lack a bit on the nicotine side of things for me. More generally, one of my favourite blends for cigarette smoking (no menthol needed) was a dutch fine cut Gawith and Hoggarth have since stopped making (bummer!).

I don’t really enjoy a really, harsh, strongly flavoured, neat tobacco flavoured smoke, but I haven’t ventured far from aromatics so would be very open to things outside of that arena.

If there’s anything you guys could recommend that’s more smooth, perhaps a bit spicey (if that’s the right description) and has a decent dose of Vit N to help me transition over it would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance!

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: danimalia

donjgiles

Lifer
Apr 14, 2018
Most cigarette tobaccos are virginia based, so maybe look into a VA or VA/Per blend.
Peter Stokkebye Luxury Navy Flake is a good tasting, widely available bulk blend that is relatively affordable.
Good luck, and do not beat yourself up... it is a process.

Crawley1066

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 14, 2014
United Kingdom
www.jpcleather.com
Most cigarette tobaccos are virginia based, so maybe look into a VA or VA/Per blend.
Peter Stokkebye Luxury Navy Flake is a good tasting, widely available bulk blend that is relatively affordable.
Good luck, and do not beat yourself up... it is a process.
Thank you - I keep reminding myself it’s going to take a while to get used to but I’m enjoying the journey so far! ?

Reactions: donjgiles

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
I just want to add my 2 cents worth here as I too arrived at pipe smoking in an attempt to stop inhaling burnt paper.
I also gravitated to simple, straightforward tobacco tasting blends after a brief few tries with typical aromatics.
I accept the fact that I will always have, at least somewhere in the back of my mind, a feeling of nicotine affection, or addiction, or craving.
Once I found out you could smoke a pipe, NOT inhale (!), and still get your required dose of Lady N AND enjoy the flavors that a bowlful of pure natural tobacco can offer, I was delighted.
Here are some inexpensive, yet tasty and fairly strong bulk tobacco blends you might enjoy.
D&R...virtually any of their blends..but especially the Picayune, Rimboche, or TwoTimer.
C&D...Big 'n Burly.
I only last week tried my first 5 Brothers, which is a pouch burly, but I find I really enjoy that one.
I like to get a few of D&R varietals and mix to taste.

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
Hi all!

Been lurking a while and haven’t posted in ages but this is a great resource and I wondered if you might be able to help a chap out?

I’ll start by saying I much prefer the pipe to the cigarettes I’ve been stuck with for years. My goal is to get off the roll-ups full stop and get rid of that nicotine craving, but I do really enjoy a pipe and wondered if there are any tobaccos you’d recommend to help make the transition?

If it helps, I’ve always smoked menthol filters (don’t necessarily like menthol per se, but I most enjoy a smooth smoke and they seem to help give that). Pipe wise, I’ve enjoyed aromatics (Peterson’s sunset breeze was nice) but they seem to lack a bit on the nicotine side of things for me. More generally, one of my favourite blends for cigarette smoking (no menthol needed) was a dutch fine cut Gawith and Hoggarth have since stopped making (bummer!).

I don’t really enjoy a really, harsh, strongly flavoured, neat tobacco flavoured smoke, but I haven’t ventured far from aromatics so would be very open to things outside of that arena.

If there’s anything you guys could recommend that’s more smooth, perhaps a bit spicey (if that’s the right description) and has a decent dose of Vit N to help me transition over it would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance!
Daughters & Ryan Athey (not menthol but has a cooling herbal note)
Stokkebye PS-83 Amsterdam
Daughters & Ryan Rimboche (AP, SJ, or AB)

Reactions: Crawley1066

ray47

Lifer
Jul 10, 2015
Dalzell, South Carolina
I tried to give up cigarettes many times, but alas, I failed. I don't smoke as many cigs as I did years ago, thanks to strong pipe blends and dip. If I was you, I'd smoke the strong blends and keep several pipes packed and ready to go. That's what I did and still do. Of course I use dip (Grizzly & Stokers) and that really helps, but you may not be so inclined. I wish you luck and encourage you to keep trying. If you can't give up the cigs, at least do everything you can to cut way back.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
People who quit smoking use a trick you might combine with switching to a pipe, and that is, if you still smoke cigarettes, smoke them only in once place, and keep all the butts in a jar to remind you of quantity and to look unappetizing. This might steer you toward your pipe if that is still a problem. In addition to Cornell & Diehl Old Joe Krantz, you might also want to try their Billy Budd, Tuggle Hall, and Stratfordshire.

Crawley1066

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 14, 2014
United Kingdom
www.jpcleather.com
I tried to give up cigarettes many times, but alas, I failed. I don't smoke as many cigs as I did years ago, thanks to strong pipe blends and dip. If I was you, I'd smoke the strong blends and keep several pipes packed and ready to go. That's what I did and still do. Of course I use dip (Grizzly & Stokers) and that really helps, but you may not be so inclined. I wish you luck and encourage you to keep trying. If you can't give up the cigs, at least do everything you can to cut way back.
I’m whittling it down slowly. Long term aim is to give up but for now cutting back is the goal.
Thanks for the recommendations. I do have some 1792 flake after seeing the high nicotine content but after reading further reviews and smelling the stuff out the tin I haven’t yet summed up the courage to smoke it ?
I’ll have a look at those you recommended, thanks again.

Crawley1066

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 14, 2014
United Kingdom
www.jpcleather.com
People who quit smoking use a trick you might combine with switching to a pipe, and that is, if you still smoke cigarettes, smoke them only in once place, and keep all the butts in a jar to remind you of quantity and to look unappetizing. This might steer you toward your pipe if that is still a problem. In addition to Cornell & Diehl Old Joe Krantz, you might also want to try their Billy Budd, Tuggle Hall, and Stratfordshire.
Thanks for the recommendation, and good idea with the visual aid. I have a large ash tray outside and it makes me feel guilty every time I empty it. One of the many reasons I’m being drawn more to the briar.

Reactions: BROBS

Crawley1066

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 14, 2014
United Kingdom
www.jpcleather.com
I just want to add my 2 cents worth here as I too arrived at pipe smoking in an attempt to stop inhaling burnt paper.
I also gravitated to simple, straightforward tobacco tasting blends after a brief few tries with typical aromatics.
I accept the fact that I will always have, at least somewhere in the back of my mind, a feeling of nicotine affection, or addiction, or craving.
Once I found out you could smoke a pipe, NOT inhale (!), and still get your required dose of Lady N AND enjoy the flavors that a bowlful of pure natural tobacco can offer, I was delighted.
Here are some inexpensive, yet tasty and fairly strong bulk tobacco blends you might enjoy.
D&R...virtually any of their blends..but especially the Picayune, Rimboche, or TwoTimer.
C&D...Big 'n Burly.
I only last week tried my first 5 Brothers, which is a pouch burly, but I find I really enjoy that one.
I like to get a few of D&R varietals and mix to taste.
Thank you for the encouragement and for your thoughts - very much appreciated.
I’m slowly learning that - it’s a much different sensation I’m finding. More mellow and relaxed which is by far preferable in my books. The issue’s when I’m at work - a bit tricky to dive out for 45 minutes to smoke a pipe. Cutting back outside of that and quitting in the long run is the aim.
Thanks again for your recommendations. I’ll take a look this evening!

Reactions: Jaylotw and BROBS
Status
Not open for further replies.