Any Recommendation for a Decent Lighter Under $60?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
I have charring marks in the back rim on all my pipes.
If it looks like this it's probably not charring, it's tar and nicotine build-up.
s-l400-10.jpg

If so, it can be cleaned.
20190215_085731-600x286.jpg

bullet08

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
RTP, NC. USA
bic and zippo. some days one works better than the other. do have my father's dupont. he used it back in late 70's. doesn't work any more. seems repair cost is more than brand new zippo.

retrogrouch

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 16, 2017
I like Clippers because they are inexpensive, are rechargeable, and can take Zippo flints. About the same price as a Bic.

May 8, 2017
Sugar Grove, IL, USA
I recently bought a pair of NOS Sarome PSD lighters off eBay for $25, shipped. They are similar to the old Dunhill Rollagas lighters on the outside. Although not well-known in the USA, they’re made in Japan and have an excellent reputation. I’ve only had them for a couple weeks, but am extremely pleased with them. The PSD line is pipe-specific with a modestly angled flame. It’s easier to light than my IM Corona Old Boy and Kiribi lighters, which have small knurled wheels.

judcasper

Can't Leave
Jan 9, 2019
I like Clippers because they are inexpensive, are rechargeable, and can take Zippo flints. About the same price as a Bic.
And they're a tamper, too. Or at least the mini is. Light, flip and tamp!

bwhiteside

Lurker
Nov 17, 2011
2 lighters for your consideration:
- Austrian made IMCO which runs about $20. Plastic, but seems well made.

- Tsubota Stanley, which is a Japanese make similar to IM Corona, and runs about $85. Only had it a week, but seems to be a quality lighter.
IMCO is great if you loose lighters (which I do); Tsubota is a nice looking quality piece that should last a long time.

bnichols23

Lifer
Mar 13, 2018
SC Piedmont
Believe it or not, I'm currently quite in love with a little Imco Chic4. It's a lovely little dual soft-flame available from smoking pipes.com. I haven't had lick one of trouble with it & it's only about $20. Lights first time, every time, WITHOUT fail. I also use a Zippo with a Thunderbird butane insert, & it's just as reliable.
I used to like the Vector I had ... until TSA confiscated it (*&* two cans of butane, dammit) from my checked bag flying home from Tampa recently. OK, OK, so I probably should have looked into it & gotten a gummint-approved container for them, but never had any trouble till this last time.
(TSA *also* snatched my favorite pocketknife from the bag, which really honked me off more. A lot. I mean, good God, it only had a 3" main blade, & *in a checked bag*. -growl- I think they just knew a good Case bluegrass when they saw it.)
Bill

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Yeah, no butane cans in checked baggage is understandable, given that the hold isn't well pressurized if at all.
But, damn, snatching stuff that's inert out of checked bags is rotten. Very bad smell there. Sorry to hear that. You should be able to check a machete in a bag you cannot access during the flight.

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
I’ve tried way too many lighters over the years and ya just can’t beat a Zippo with the pipe lighter insert. All the other fancy lighters I’ve tried end up breaking within weeks, some have actually lasted but the flame is so fickle, if a tiny fairy just happens to flap her wings within a mile radius of me while I’m trying to light my pipe the flame goes out instantly, every freckin’ time.. drives me nuts! Damn those fairies and damn their wings too! The Zippo is proper, it’s legit and it’s boss but most importantly, it’s reliable.

mudcamper

Lurker
Mar 22, 2019
Sonoma County
I recently picked up one of these. It's 25 bucks.
Pros: It's heavy (I like that). You don't have to hold anything for it to stay lit. (Close it to turn it off.) The angle of the flame is parallel to the bowl when you hold it naturally (not directed down - good IMO).
Cons: I seem to have to fill it often.
Overall I like it.
I also have a pipe Zippo. Been a Zippo fan for many decades.

bwhiteside

Lurker
Nov 17, 2011
Jetline makes a great lighter. Inexpensive, but quality make. I have several of their cigar lighters, but would like to get one of their soft flame lighters for pipes.

Status
Not open for further replies.