Any Readers of Occult Detectives Stories from the Pulps?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Sjmiller CPG

(sjmiller)
May 8, 2015
Morgan County, Tennessee
Was just sitting smoking a bowl of KBV Mycroft and thinking I need to try the KBV blend The Patience of Dr. Silence next. Dr. John Silence was an occult detective that appeared in six short stories by Algernon Blackwood. Silence was just one of many occult detectives that appeared in pulp magazines. Others included Jules de Grandin (my personal favorite), John Thunstone, Carnacki the Ghost Finder, Flaxman Lowe and so on.

Was just curious if anyone else here had read any of the stories.

Just to give all pertinent info:

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Pulp magazines (also referred to as "the pulps") were inexpensive fiction magazines that were published from 1896 to the late 1950s. The term "pulp" derives from the cheap wood pulppaper on which the magazines were printed. In contrast, magazines printed on higher-quality paper were called "glossies" or "slicks". The typical pulp magazine had 128 pages; it was 7 inches (18 cm) wide by 10 inches (25 cm) high, and 0.5 inches (1.3 cm) thick, with ragged, untrimmed edges.

jguss

Lifer
Jul 7, 2013
Was just sitting smoking a bowl of KBV Mycroft and thinking I need to try the KBV blend The Patience of Dr. Silence next. Dr. John Silence was an occult detective that appeared in six short stories by Algernon Blackwood. Silence was just one of many occult detectives that appeared in pulp magazines. Others included Jules de Grandin (my personal favorite), John Thunstone, Carnacki the Ghost Finder, Flaxman Lowe and so on.

Just to give all pertinent info:

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Pulp magazines (also referred to as "the pulps") were inexpensive fiction magazines that were published from 1896 to the late 1950s. The term "pulp" derives from the cheap wood pulppaper on which the magazines were printed. In contrast, magazines printed on higher-quality paper were called "glossies" or "slicks". The typical pulp magazine had 128 pages; it was 7 inches (18 cm) wide by 10 inches (25 cm) high, and 0.5 inches (1.3 cm) thick, with ragged, untrimmed edges.

No I haven’t, but it sounds like great stuff. I am familiar with other pulp genres though; hero (Shadow, Spider, Doc Savage, G-8), hard boiled detective (Hammett, Chandler, Cain), fantasy (REH, ERB), horror (HPL, CAS), adventure (more REH, more ERB), etc.

Sjmiller CPG

(sjmiller)
May 8, 2015
Morgan County, Tennessee
No I haven’t, but it sounds like great stuff. I am familiar with other pulp genres though; hero (Shadow, Spider, Doc Savage, G-8), hard boiled detective (Hammett, Chandler, Cain), fantasy (REH, ERB), horror (HPL, CAS), adventure (more REH, more ERB), etc.
G-8 and his Battle Aces are my favorite in the hero genre. World War I pilots, horror, and science fiction all rolled into one.

Reactions: fMf Piper

shanez

Lifer
Jul 10, 2018
Las Vegas
I love Dr Silence stories but I might be biased as Algernon Blackwood is one of my favorite authors.

Carnacki is great also.

I listen to a youtoob channel called "Horrorbabble" and the narrator, Ian Gordon, does a great job with both Silence and Carnacki. He has written his own series in the genre with the lead character named Van Melsen and the stories are quite good.

Sjmiller CPG

(sjmiller)
May 8, 2015
Morgan County, Tennessee
I love Dr Silence stories but I might be biased as Algernon Blackwood is one of my favorite authors.

Carnacki is great also.

I listen to a youtoob channel called "Horrorbabble" and the narrator, Ian Gordon, does a great job with both Silence and Carnacki. He has written his own series in the genre with the lead character named Van Melsen and the stories are quite good.
I will have to take a look at those.

shermnatman

Lifer
Jan 25, 2019
Philadelphia Suburbs, Pennsylvania

Absolutely! 😍

In addition to Algernon Blackwood, I read all the so-called Lovecraft Circle writers: H.P. Lovecraft, Clark Ashton Smith, Robert Bloch (Psycho), August Derleth, Robert E. Howard (Conan), Fritz Leiber, etc, etc, etc; and, the writers who inspired them: M.R. James, Lord Dunsany, William Butler Yates, E.A. Poe (Tell-Tale Heart), Ambrose Bierce (An Occurrence at Owl Creek Bridge), etc, etc, etc.

This in addition to collecting hardback and paperback published works of these authors and their short-stories, then, there are the collected issues of the 1930-era Pulp Magazine Weird Tales; and, the 1960s-era B&W illustrated short-story magazines: Creepy, and Eerie.

Here's a picture - hoping you can zoom-in to see the titles and authors - from the Creepy Corner of the library in my study, one of seven bookcases of books anyway... So yes, you're in the right place. :LOL:

Creepy_Corner.jpg

If you specifically like short-stories told from the narrative orientation of the Investigating Detective who steps into the occult world of the weird and super-natural, as well as Pipe Smoking, try this little cross-over of Conan Doyle's Sherlock Holmes in the world of H.P. Lovecraft's Cthulhu mythos; while enjoying some of C&D's offerings which are named in tribute to H.P. Lovecraft in the same sitting:
Lovcraft_Holmes_Peterson.jpg

If you have any recommendations for me - other than suggesting I seek professional help :LOL: - PM me! - Sherm Natman

Reactions: jguss

Sjmiller CPG

(sjmiller)
May 8, 2015
Morgan County, Tennessee
Fighters of Fear: Occult Detective Stories edited by Mike Ashley is a good starting point. Contains stories from both past and modern authors.

As for cross-overs, I really enjoyed Sherlock Holmes and the Occult Detectives edited by John Grant. A wonderful four volume set, in my opinion.

Reactions: shermnatman

jguss

Lifer
Jul 7, 2013
On the general subject of Holmes pastiches Derleth’s Solar Pons stories are fun. Arkham published several volumes of the short stories and Battered Silicon Dispatch Box did an omnibus.

Reactions: shermnatman

shermnatman

Lifer
Jan 25, 2019
Philadelphia Suburbs, Pennsylvania
Me... except that Sherlock Holmes stuff. Never cared for it. I prefer the Noir genre. Loose women, guns, car chases, back when men wore hats.

Brother @cosmicfolklore , check out any book by Erle Stanley Gardner - ala' Perry Mason - no Sherlock here, and no Occult.... just dangerous dames with great gams, murderous men in hats who smoke and curse, squealing punks who get what's coming to them, and plenty of gun-fire, knifing, boozing, gambling, and corruption in the gritty city, and late-nights back in the dressing rooms at the "Burly-Q" and "Cat Houses".

Stuff the TV presentation of Perry Mason could not even touch only elude to on TV.
Perry_Mason.jpg

Pick up any ESG paperback cheap on FleBay, and see it doesn't fit your pipe. Although you don't go in for the Weird Worlds we are talking about here, Since you and me are otherwise so much alike in our Excellent taste and discernment, I think you'll find these books "really jake!".

Here's one you can pick-up right now on FleBay for 0.99 cents... less than a pack of Super-Value Pipe Cleaners.
Calender_Girl.jpg

If you decide to give ESG a try, let me know what you think - your pally, Sherm "Hard-Boiled" Natman

Last edited: