PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

bigvan

Lifer
Mar 22, 2011
I believe that Rattray pipes are made by Butz-Choquin (and perhaps others). They're generally inexpensive and their quality is about what you'd expect from a factory made pipe.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
Bigvan hit it on the nose: a serviceable factory pipe. I have the one pictured below, and it has a lacquered finish -- which doesn't seem to hurt anything at all, though some say it keeps the briar from breathing. You couldn't prove that by me. I also have a Butz, and the commonalities are obvious, so I think Bigvan is right on that point too. This bulldog feels good in hand and mouth, and I've never had a bad smoke from it. It passes a pipe cleaner smoothly, and that can be important to some folks.

Rattraylarger.jpg

nemrod

Can't Leave
Apr 28, 2011
Sweden
I've seen Rattray morta pipes and generally more expensive (and very handsome) briar pipes ($200+) so they're not all inexpensive factory-mades though. This is one example that I quite fancy, and here's a small selection of Rattray mortas (for a quite decent price for being morta).

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
Here's mine. It is set up to take a filter, which I never use, so the tenon is much larger(wider) than the air hole. Nice pipe for the money and I like the shape. BTW, it's a Highland.

Status
Not open for further replies.