PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Briar Lee

Lifer
Sep 4, 2021
Humansville Missouri
My parents passed down to me assurances that I was descended from Clan Campbell.

One of the reasons we came to America was the damned English forbade our kilts.:)

That from and after the first day of August, One thousand, seven hundred and forty-six, no man or boy within that part of Britain called Scotland, other than such as shall be employed as Officers and Soldiers in His Majesty’s Forces, shall, on any pretext whatever, wear or put on the clothes commonly called Highland clothes (that is to say) the Plaid, Philabeg, or little Kilt, Trowse, Shoulder-belts, or any part whatever of what peculiarly belongs to the Highland Garb;

and that no tartan or party-coloured plaid of stuff shall be used for Great Coats or upper coats, and if any such person shall presume after the said first day of August, to wear or put on the aforesaid garment or any part of them, every such person so offending … For the first offence, shall be liable to be imprisoned for 6 months, and on the second offence, to be transported to any of His Majesty’s plantations beyond the seas, there to remain for the space of seven years.”

—-

I never saw a kilt growing up, or heard any bagpipes.

My ancestors must have moved here before in the mid 1700s, at least six generations ago.

But I’m a transplanted Scot.:)

hoipolloiglasgow

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 14, 2023
United States
I'm half Scottish, and I would never wear a kilt in the States. Would have no problem if anyone did, but you'd stand out for sure. I feel like some people smoke pipes just to stand out. Me personally, I smoke for the flavor, enjoyment, and the hobby. It's the best way to consume tobacco and get the flavor next to cigars, also it's not that unhealthy in moderation. Snuff being the healthiest form of tobacco, although it doesn't give you the flavor of a good pipe.

Jbrewer2002

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 17, 2023
Somerset Ohio
I have done sound at the us’s largest free Celtic festival in Dayton OH for the bast 15 years or so. About 5 years ago the owner of the sound company bought us all utilikilts. At first it was an adjustment period trying to work in a kilt but most of the team found this to become second nature. The last thing you want is to be up on stage doing something then surprising the whole crowd. We also like them because the festival is late July and alway hot. I put it on for different occasions including a wedding that I’m going to be in next month. My heritage is about half Irish and half German.
DAF44239-6449-4CB5-A6D1-2243E27FAEB8.jpeg2D18C7A3-EF8F-4426-85D5-8E478A5EBA3C.jpeg

lifesizehobbit

Oct 23, 2015
I have done sound at the us’s largest free Celtic festival in Dayton OH for the bast 15 years or so. About 5 years ago the owner of the sound company bought us all utilikilts. At first it was an adjustment period trying to work in a kilt but most of the team found this to become second nature. The last thing you want is to be up on stage doing something then surprising the whole crowd. We also like them because the festival is late July and alway hot. I put it on for different occasions including a wedding that I’m going to be in next month. My heritage is about half Irish and half German.
View attachment 256273View attachment 256272

I live in Carlisle - just south of Dayton. I was at Celtic Fest in June out in Waynesville, but couldn't make the July event due to other plans. We should get together up at the Wharf some time and enjoy a couple of bowls.

Jbrewer2002

Apr 17, 2023
Somerset Ohio
I live in Carlisle - just south of Dayton. I was at Celtic Fest in June out in Waynesville, but couldn't make the July event due to other plans. We should get together up at the Wharf some time and enjoy a couple of bowls.
Sounds good. I went to the Warf that Friday of the Celtic fest. I live about 2.5 hours from Dayton.

I think that if someone is going to wear a kilt, then they should at least have to wear a tophat with it. If not a tophat, then a boulder will do. puffy

Kudos to you guys wearing kilts.

Funny story, we had a guy from Scotland visit our pipe club, and we had this other guy who always showed up in a kilt if he came to a meeting. The guy from Scotland just sat next to me cracking jokes about the guy. I was like, "wow, if the Scottish make fun of kilts, who would a kilt impress?" Probably just me. I'm impressed. But, of course I'm impressed when someone shows up to a nice restaurant in a bunny suit. puffy

irishearl

Lifer
Aug 2, 2016
Kansas
I think that if someone is going to wear a kilt, then they should at least have to wear a tophat with it. If not a tophat, then a boulder will do. puffy

Kudos to you guys wearing kilts.

Funny story, we had a guy from Scotland visit our pipe club, and we had this other guy who always showed up in a kilt if he came to a meeting. The guy from Scotland just sat next to me cracking jokes about the guy. I was like, "wow, if the Scottish make fun of kilts, who would a kilt impress?" Probably just me. I'm impressed. But, of course I'm impressed when someone shows up to a nice restaurant in a bunny suit. puffy
Gotta admit, here in the USA, if I was to see a guy wearing a kilt outside of "kilt-oriented" events like Celtic festivals, parades, etc., it would seem a tad odd to me.

Kobold

Lifer
Feb 2, 2022
Maryland
I could have used a kilt earlier this summer when I got a bad case of jock itch. Lesson learned is to go commando during the summer.

Reactions: SBC
Jul 26, 2021
Metro-Detroit
I purchased a kilt at a renaissance festival since it was hot (and I figured my future daughter would get a kick out of it). It was very comfortable and cooler (temperature wise) than my pants.

Now for a slight change of discussion (ideally with pictures): women in plaid skirts. I mean I like you guys a lot, but need something easier on the eyes.

• Haha
Reactions: CoffeeAndBourbon

SBC

Lifer
Oct 6, 2021
NE Wisconsin
I descend through my paternal grandmother from the Caskieben Johnstons of Aberdeenshire, and specifically from the poet Arthur Johnston (friend of William Laud, one time archbishop of Canterbury).

But I'm not a Johnston. The connection as I say is through a grandmother.

I've often considered getting a kilt, as I like the Johnston tartan very much (I expect that many of you know that tartan as clan-identifier is a bit of Victorian fake-lore ... but IMO it's still of value)

I may be even more interested in a flannel shirt in Johnston tartan:

Johnston Tartan Shirt.jpg

If, however, you leave the privacy of your closet in a kilt, beware that you run the chance that a real Scot may ask you to do a sword dance... which of these three gif dances will you do?

Funniest part is that I just google "kilt GIF" and all of these came up.
Kilt GIFs - Get the best GIF on GIPHY

Kilts GIFs - Get the best GIF on GIPHY
Kilt GIFs | Tenor

krizzose

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
Michigan
As an American whose entire genetic heritage comes from the cabbage / dill / sour cream side of Europe, kilts are not for me.

But rock on with your bad self, and don’t let anyone refer to that sporran as a purse.

Reactions: lifesizehobbit

gubbyduffer

Can't Leave
May 25, 2021
Peebles, Scottish Borders
As an American whose entire genetic heritage comes from the cabbage / dill / sour cream side of Europe, kilts are not for me.

But rock on with your bad self, and don’t let anyone refer to that sporran as a purse.
Sporrans are useless for carrying anything. Barely fit keys, mobile phone and bank card in them. Then all that has to get ditched when the important stuff is carried on them, such as a this.
Dartmoor-Whisky-Leather-Hip-Flask-Back.jpg