PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

milk

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 21, 2022
Japan
Maybe an impossible question but does anyone know anything about where and when Jobey Shellmoors were made?

milk

Sep 21, 2022
Japan
From pipephil:

▲ Jobey Shellmoor
These pipes are made in St Claude (France) by Butz-Choquin (Berrod-Regad group) since 1987. Before this date some were manufactured in England and Denmark (Jobey Dansk).
Jobey's seconds: Shellmoor
I should have checked there. Thanks! So late. I thought everything with the word “shell” was some early 20th century reaction to Dunhill, like the Kaywoodie Shellcraft-s.

Reactions: Simplicity

jguss

Lifer
Jul 7, 2013
There’s an earlier story set here in the good ol’ USA. I’m on a plane but will try to find time for a little digging next week

• Love
Reactions: milk

driftedshank1

Might Stick Around
Jul 3, 2018
From Pipedia:
Weber Pipe Co. owned and manufactured Jobey pipes - when mainly sold in the USA by the Tinder Box from 1970's - 80's. In addition Jobey / Weber bought Danish freehands from Karl Erik (Ottendahl). These pipes were offered as Jobey Dansk. Ottendahl discontinued exports to the United States in 1987 and in the very same year - obviously only as a ghost brand - Jobey was transferred to Saint-Claude, France to be manufactured by Butz-Choquin.

Weber pipes were generally well made. They had a number of lines and finishes. I recall that they did a lot of private label work for NY metro area B&Ms and quite possibly througout the rest of the country. I've owned a few over the years. Nice traditional shapes, decent smokers.

• Love
Reactions: milk and grimpeur

milk

Sep 21, 2022
Japan
From Pipedia:
Weber Pipe Co. owned and manufactured Jobey pipes - when mainly sold in the USA by the Tinder Box from 1970's - 80's. In addition Jobey / Weber bought Danish freehands from Karl Erik (Ottendahl). These pipes were offered as Jobey Dansk. Ottendahl discontinued exports to the United States in 1987 and in the very same year - obviously only as a ghost brand - Jobey was transferred to Saint-Claude, France to be manufactured by Butz-Choquin.

Weber pipes were generally well made. They had a number of lines and finishes. I recall that they did a lot of private label work for NY metro area B&Ms and quite possibly througout the rest of the country. I've owned a few over the years. Nice traditional shapes, decent smokers.
Jobey has quite the tangled history. Its original founders would have been surprised!