Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Nov 20, 2022
Wisconsin
I have 2 Castello sea rock pipes that I bought in Italy, and they smoke great. I like the saddle bits and the way they smoke, but they are pretty expensive! I know.... you get what you pay for. I don't mind paying for a nice pipe for my collection, but I would love to get a cheaper daily knock around pipe with similar features.

Any suggestions on a more affordable pipe that may be similar?

daveinlax

Charter Member
May 5, 2009
WISCONSIN
My only gripe is where the chamber is drilled on top has a hard edge. It makes it easy to singe. I tend to soften mine a little if its not a colored stain on the pipe. Otherwise great pipes.
I’m the opposite. I prefer a crisp line. I’ve found beveled or a rounded edge seems to darken easier. Not Italian but Butera, Parks and Roush rusticated pipes are as good or better than a good Sea Rock carving.

briarblues

Can't Leave
Aug 3, 2017
I have 2 Castello sea rock pipes that I bought in Italy, and they smoke great. I like the saddle bits and the way they smoke, but they are pretty expensive! I know.... you get what you pay for. I don't mind paying for a nice pipe for my collection, but I would love to get a cheaper daily knock around pipe with similar features.

The only Italian brand I know of that ages their briar as long as Castello is Ardor. Both do not work their briar until it has at least 10 years of aging. That being said there are numerous excellent Italian brands to choose from. IF one had the available cash and could visit a different carver, with a few being visited the same day, as they are close to each other, I think I calculated it would take 80 days. A few of those days would be for travel, but if one organized a clear path from North to South .... about 80 days. So lots of brands.....

warren99

Lifer
Aug 16, 2010
California

L’Anatra and Don Carlos tend to make excellent Italian pipes which are generally less expensive than Castello.

warren99

Lifer
Aug 16, 2010
California
The only Italian brand I know of that ages their briar as long as Castello is Ardor. Both do not work their briar until it has at least 10 years of aging. That being said there are numerous excellent Italian brands to choose from. IF one had the available cash and could visit a different carver, with a few being visited the same day, as they are close to each other, I think I calculated it would take 80 days. A few of those days would be for travel, but if one organized a clear path from North to South .... about 80 days. So lots of brands.....
I am smoking a Collection Occhio di Pernice that I bought from you last year as I write. It’s a wonderful pipe.

Papamique

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 11, 2020
Here are some others- Grenci (minimum of 10 years aged briar and few left UNDER 20 years old at this point) and Amorelli (minimum of 5 years but most are well over this ranging from 10-30 years) and Amorelli knows exactly where his briar comes from. He goes out with harvesters on the island of Sicily, where he also lives, and knows the cutters and mill owners by name. It is a tight community. He is even involved in the boiling part of curing the briar at the mill. All of his briar comes from Sicily.

@Doctor Chopper the Grenci can be found for relatively cheap but the Amorelli will set you back as much if not more than the Castello so not a recommendation that fits your OP

Last edited:

Papamique

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 11, 2020
Mastro De Paja is another one worth looking at. Not too expensive and have a rich history dating back to the dinosaurs. To piggy back on Sasquatch’s Ser Jacopo recommendation, they have a wonderful line called Geppetto that are excellent hand finished pipes that smoke wonderfully and are less expensive to boot.

Sigmund

Lifer
Sep 17, 2023
France
@AroEnglish Al Pacia has a load of Ser jacs under 300 and a few under 200 euro. Shipping is fast and cheap from Italy and you get the no tax rate. Their completely smooth pipes are more. The La Fuma line if you run across them are Ser Jac seconds. Most will have a couple of fills. They are usually hard to see. Im lucky they dont sell 9mm pipes or Id be broke. Their Radice prices are outstanding.

To Doc Chopper...I cant say enough good about my Ser Jac pipes. I only mentioned Radice first because the price point. Radice are great pipes at knock around prices (almost).

I have not owned one but Ive never heard anything bad about the Geppetto pipes amd they are truly inexpensive.

Last edited: