PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
raspberries and blackberries do look a lot alike, and the bushes look alike also. But taste-wise, raspberries are more tart and sweeter. Blackberries tend to have deeper bass notes in flavor.

In the tobaccos, blackberry tends to smell like you're smoking a Smurf. It even smells blue. There's a big burley looking guy who comes into the Briary once a week, to pick up his blackberry brandy bulk. He always smells like a Smurf, but it's weird to see him and then smell him. The two senses get out of whack.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
The descriptions here make it sound good:

http://www.tobaccoreviews.com/blend/1965/samuel-gawith-firedance-flake
I wonder if there is an age at which the topping is "in transition" and not aged enough, or some other chemical change makes it go off. Another issue might be if the tin gets cooked during transport, which can easily happen during the summer months in the USA but seems to rarely happen in the UK where a 75 F day is a heat wave.
On the other hand, how would I know? I have never tasted stale vomit, only the fresh kind.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I've never tried to add an aromatic flavoring to tobacco. Seems like there must be tricks to getting it to sustain the intended flavor when it is burnt. I think many flavorings might taste very different once ignited. I don't know as a blackberry infused liquid would necessarily burn with a blackberry flavor. Worth a try. I'd do it in small quantities, a few bowl's worth, before scaling up.

The aroma from aromatics, as with the flavor of natural tobacco, comes not from its burning, but from the tobacco that surrounds the ember heating up and releasing its natural essences and oils. I didn't invent that, I read it in that blog, Passion for Pipes. This is why Virginias taste differently in narrow pipes with less mass around the ember in the center of the pipe tastes different from a wide bowl.

This is also why I don't bother with making sure the full width of the bowl gets lit into the cherry. You actually have to wait till the cherry dies down a bit to get more flavor.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
Like penicillin, Velcro and the Popsicle before it, the barf-flavored jelly bean was created by accident.
Lee was trying to develop a pizza flavor for a Harry Potter-branded range of jelly beans using cheese and meat flavors.
Senior management told Lee the flavor tasted sickly, so he added slightly more flavoring and the vomit-flavored jelly bean was born. The R& chief went on to develop other risqué flavors for Harry Potter including earth worm, rotten egg, ear wax and sardines.
http://www.confectionerynews.com/R-D/Accidental-inventions-The-barf-flavored-jelly-bean-inventor

Jun 4, 2014
I don't know if it is a strictly blackberry blend, but Boswell's Berry Cobbler Blend has some blackberry notes. My wife loves the scent of this one, and I have to say the blend does have a berry taste. It is also on the sweet side if you like that in a blend.

beastinview

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 5, 2016
I've actually found nothing piques my interest more than a really bad review. That's what caused me to order G&H Ropes, Royal Yacht, 1792 Flake, and Dark Flake Scented--and those are my favorite blends. So I may have to give Firedance a try.
The whole, "Oh my gosh, this is totally, like, so gross that I totally couldn't even smoke it and had to like, just throw it in the trash" reaction always seemed a bit drama queen-ish to me--a bit like my pregnant sister-in-law's reaction to the smell of pipe smoke--so bad reviews awaken the brave impulse in me to go out on a limb. I know a lot of people only seek relaxation in the pipe, but I like a little excitement as well.

jacks6

Lifer
May 9, 2016
Now, you've got me curious to try a blackberry blend. I can't say that I've ever had one but it sounds delicious now.

Status
Not open for further replies.