PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
The rim cleanup made me think of this top I saw on the Bay. Can anyone tell from the photo if the wood is charred, or the cake is so thick it's merely that the cake is cracked?
s-l1600.jpg

randelli

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 21, 2015
This is my largest pipe! For comparison, here it is with a standard kaywoodie 72, and my smallest kaywoodie 5129.
20160828_154741_zpsdansmjl3_edit_1472417737677_zpsbjhiqjlp.jpg

It smokes like a dream!

lifesizehobbit

Oct 23, 2015
Sweet find, great cleanup. I've not attempted anything like that with an antique find; been scared away by not knowing enough about pipes and the process.

randelli

Nov 21, 2015
Thanks for the encouraging words! I was afraid at first with the condition of the stem; but it was pretty easy to do. Scraping the oxidation, carefully, really helped the process. After that I held it over a flame - don't know why but I think I read it here - and then the rest was normal elbow grease. Wax and coconut oil is reconditioning the wood.
I smoked it last night. What a dream. First light got me 3/4 down in about 45 minutes. I cleared the ash and the second light finished it off 20 minutes later. No gurgle, no juice, just a bit of sizzle at the end. No mystical fine white ash but it was close enough for me.
I am really happy with this pipe and now want to go get the other two!

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
You switched pipes on us, right? No, just kidding. I knew it was a beauty under all that crud. And a biggie too.

jmatt

Aug 25, 2014
Fill the bite marks with CA (super glue), let it dry, then sand back down. Done.

jabo

Can't Leave
Jan 26, 2016
Nice find. If I were you I'd go back and pick up the others. At those prices, if you don't like it, you can always give it away or trade it.

Status
Not open for further replies.