PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

xrundog

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 23, 2014
Ames, IA
I bought this pipe with the intention of cleaning it up and flipping it. It was dirty and the stem had been taped on. It looked rough but cleaned up these pipes are popular.

Then I got the pipe. I cleaned it with damp rags and Q-tips. Got the tape goo off and polished the band. The stem looks like a Bakelite replacement for an amber version. It may have just been taken from another pipe and stuck on. The screw tenon is a size too small. I fixed that with a little Teflon tape. So now I'm looking at this pipe and thinking I have NEVER held a pipe with better carving. It makes my other figural look sadly mediocre. In fact the carving quality looks as good as pictures I've seen of the best antique figurals.

Looks like something else is going to take the place of this one for sale.
As bought pics.
TurkishHeadMeerBefore1_zps5cc5157e.jpg

TurkishHeadMeerBefore2_zpsb98d1196.jpg

Refurbished:
TurksHeadMeer1_zps702cb6da.jpg

TurksHeadMeer2_zpsaaab57a5.jpg

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
Nice figural. No doubt about that. It's colored in a nice way, too -- lots of time half of the face is red-brown and the upper half is closer to white. 8O

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
Interesting. How old do you think it is? As you know I just don't do figurines and I have a couple of them kicking around in a drawer at the office talking to each other!

xrundog

Oct 23, 2014
Ames, IA
Condorlover1, I'd say late 19th early 20th on the date. But I'm not very knowledgeable on figural pipes either. I'm keeping this one mainly because I think it's extraordinary. I have two. And the other one is suffering by comparison. It's days are numbered!

I'm thinking about waxing. I have to decide which way is best. All those nooks and crannies!

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
Yep. I have been looking for a case repairer/maker for ever without any success. Its a very nice pipe if your into garden ornaments! Did you see the well colored French lady that was knocked down on Oi Vay the other week for $80.00? An absolute bargain if your into that sort of style.

xrundog

Oct 23, 2014
Ames, IA
My eyes normally slide right over these pipes. I guess the quality of the turban stopped me. Normally they are pretty smooth and simple. I have no interest in the new ones. The detail and color drew me in. There also seem to be a lot of broken stems on these. That's another deal breaker. A confluence of events including the right price caused me to end up with this pipe. I like it! But one is probably enough.

okiescout

Lifer
Jan 27, 2013
Too right ,xrundog. The detail is deep and intentional. The quality is way above most of the work I see, online anyway. There are a number of carvers who can carve an object fairly well. An artist who has the skill to capture life in the stone is rare. This gentlemen is alive. The profile does not indicate the surprise in store for the viewer in the full facial. Great score!

jonasclark

Aug 4, 2013
Seattle
I, too, have a bedouin figural that's amazing. I'm not surprised yours impresses you, it's very impressive to me, too. Definitely a keeper.

Status
Not open for further replies.