PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

perdurabo

Lifer
Jun 3, 2015
Obama wants your guns, Michelle wants your tobacco, to give it Obama so he can relax from all the stress he has created.

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
Anyone who saves a child's life is an environmental criminal, contributing to the overpopulation of an already overtaxed Mother Earth. Villains!

tuold

Lifer
Oct 15, 2013
Beaverton,Oregon
There's been a PSA playing here in Portland showing a group of small children pawing through a basket of flavored tobacco products ooing and awing over the colors and flavors. A grim voice-over proclaims that tobacco companies are intentionally marketing these products to children.
Currently the FDA outlaws the use of flavoring (except menthol) in cigarettes and wants to extend the ban to all tobacco and vaping products.
There is hardly anything worse in my book than using children for political fodder. Still, it's one of the oldest tricks and it seems to work.

robwoodall

Can't Leave
Apr 29, 2015
Which universities are you guys attending that are "stifling active debate?"
We have policies in place to prevent harassment, and to allow a person to absent themselves from a situation that becomes too heated, but I see very active debate, very actively encouraged.

robwoodall

Can't Leave
Apr 29, 2015
Wow!
I re-read my post, and it sounded awfully rude.
DM, Condor, I did not mean that to suggest I was doubting you. Just that it really sucks! I've been with the university system for a bit over 10 years, and I've always felt we were one of the last bastions of free speech and enlightened debate. It's not good if that is going away in some places!
By the way, I'm just about as "left" as it's possible for a person to get, so that's at least one thing the two sides can agree on!

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
rob: Nothing rude with your post. A lot of people form their world view by only reading material they agree with. Some even get their world view strictly from movies and TV, believe it or not. Much, much easier than reading or listening to that which might challenge one's beliefs. Independent thinking can be be a lot of work.
At present there are an awful lot of people who think the world would be a better place if everyone thought as they did. They want an easy to understand world with no strife and, by God!, they want it on their terms only.

robwoodall

Can't Leave
Apr 29, 2015
Thanks, Warren.
I try to remain polite, unless threatened, in every case. I don't agree with everybody, but I try to be agreeable with everyone.
And, yeah. Life must be easier for a person to hear only what he already agrees with! I couldn't live that way.

smokinfireman

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 17, 2015
Yeeeeaaahhh.......cause feeding them artificial food that doesn't rot like McDonald's and letting them drink diet pop (Asperatame, a know carcinogen) 12 times a day is so much healthier than smoking......if people really cared about thier kids they'd not let them be 250 pounds at age 13, sit on their asses all day, and destroy their heart muscles with Monster and Red Bull- things that HAVE BEEN PROVEN to cause premature death. As Sheriff Andy Taylor once said, " If that don't beat all!"

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
Your government is working hard on those problems. Careful what you wish for. Parents won't so government will.
Rob: You and I would probably disagree on all things political. We would likely agree on most things philosophical.

rhoadsie

Can't Leave
Dec 24, 2013
Virginia, USA
Rob: I think you would agree that universities are liberal bastions and perhaps, then biases may not be recognized by certain political groups but felt, although not voiced by others. This is obviously a hot button topic these days given the recent events at the University of Missouri. There was a perceived injustice by some there and that translated into "forced" expulsion of some people from the campus without fair debate or discussion.

rhoadsie

Can't Leave
Dec 24, 2013
Virginia, USA
To be clear, depending on the university/college, minority views (political, racial or otherwise) are drowned out as to prevent effective debate or discussion. Warren has it correct that young people feel entitled (without responsibility or accountability) and society/professors spoon feed them to enable those feelings.

robwoodall

Can't Leave
Apr 29, 2015
Warren,
You are very likely correct. I don't think I've ever agreed with anyone, politically. I do greatly respect your reasoned and reasonable input, though. You are one of the members that I actively look for posts from.
Rhodsie,
I'm truly sorry that's been your experience but, no, I would not agree. In my experience, and at my college, students are encouraged and required to look at all sides of an issue. College remains one of the few places that one can get balanced information. Most media is more concerned with convincing the viewer/reader that their side is "good" and the other side is "bad."

okiescout

Lifer
Jan 27, 2013
As for the OP, I do take issue with the appearance that somehow tobacco leads to drug and alcohol abuse.

Exactly :!:
Ask your family MD about treatment of girls under 12 for venereal diseases in large urban centers today. How many adds do you see about that?
I think most of these ads go back to who gets the bucks and mass hysteria. It would seem soap operas and the latest "the sky is falling" are two modes the human race cannot live without.

Status
Not open for further replies.