PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

AJL67

Lifer
May 26, 2022
Florida - Space Coast
I did a search and looks like there were some Zoom threads years ago but nothing recent. Do we have access to a zoom? Is there interest in setting up a weekly zoom call, you know like every friday night starting at 8pm and just leaving it open and whoever can join joins and hang out and smoke and chat? Or even as we did on a cigar board, the line is always open and members could post they are jumping on line and people that see it can join if they want so that it doesn't have to be set times, just set times for the larger group to try to get together.

Is there any interest in this?

If there is I don't think zoom accounts are expensive, maybe a couple hundred bucks a year, if there is interest maybe people would want to chip in 5 or 10 bucks or something and we could get a zoom account set up and just throw a password on it that we all know so that' it's secure?

If you think I'm an ass on here you ain't seen nothing yet! :D LOL

I'm open to suggestions!

EDIT: I just realized of course it would have nothing to do with the board and they would have no liability or responsibly at all. I suppose that's a question for powers that be here if this is even allowed to be posted. Sorry.

AJL67

Lifer
May 26, 2022
Florida - Space Coast
If this allowed by the board powers. I have to add there would be rules, the password would not be posted so that any random person could join the zoom, you would have to say you would like the password in PM and you would get it and there would be no inviting random friends, i.e., giving them the password. I have seen too many issues start that way and we don't want to start banning people from the zoom, like changing the password and not telling them.

Reactions: Old Smokey

Old Smokey

Can't Leave
Feb 29, 2024
The Hollers of Kentucky in Appalachia
I did a search and looks like there were some Zoom threads years ago but nothing recent. Do we have access to a zoom? Is there interest in setting up a weekly zoom call, you know like every friday night starting at 8pm and just leaving it open and whoever can join joins and hang out and smoke and chat? Or even as we did on a cigar board, the line is always open and members could post they are jumping on line and people that see it can join if they want so that it doesn't have to be set times, just set times for the larger group to try to get together.

Is there any interest in this?

If there is I don't think zoom accounts are expensive, maybe a couple hundred bucks a year, if there is interest maybe people would want to chip in 5 or 10 bucks or something and we could get a zoom account set up and just throw a password on it that we all know so that' it's secure?

If you think I'm an ass on here you ain't seen nothing yet! :D LOL

I'm open to suggestions!

EDIT: I just realized of course it would have nothing to do with the board and they would have no liability or responsibly at all. I suppose that's a question for powers that be here if this is even allowed to be posted. Sorry.
I thought zoom was free? We use it during at home days at school. Interesting idea though.

AJL67

Lifer
May 26, 2022
Florida - Space Coast
I thought zoom was free? We use it during at home days at school. Interesting idea though.
Free is 40 minute meetings.

That would be the ultimate "followers" full on stalkers! lol

Old Smokey

Can't Leave
Feb 29, 2024

Oh, I didn't know that. I guess the school board pays for it since they gave us the accounts. Never really paid attention.

Reactions: pipenschmoeker123

AJL67

Lifer
May 26, 2022
Florida - Space Coast
I'm in. I participate in two Pipe Zooms. One is great, one is not-so-great. But...it's definitely great to have the option available. The a-holes tend to wander off fairly quickly and you're left with good discussions.
That's why it would be this board only for members and if there are problems they just will not be able to get back in. There are people here I would enjoy actually talking to, at least 3 or 4! No, we actually have a pretty good core here and yes the idiots tend to leave before too long because no one plays their games.

We'll see what the interest is.

It might come down to me just getting the subscription and people want to donate they can send me an ounce of tobacco or something silly or they can just participate and add to the good times as payment. I don't really expect people to send anything that's not the point and god knows i have enough to last me a life time.

runscott

Lifer
Jun 3, 2020
Washington State
There are many, many great things about meeting discussion forum friends in a Zoom. What I've found is that most of the 'problem' people never attend in the first place, as a discussion forum works better for them. But I've also found that people I didn't care for much in discussions, were really great in Zooms.

Old Smokey

Can't Leave
Feb 29, 2024
There are many, many great things about meeting discussion forum friends in a Zoom. What I've found is that most of the 'problem' people never attend in the first place, as a discussion forum works better for them. But I've also found that people I didn't care for much in discussions, were really great in Zooms.
Some people are writers and some are orators. C'est la vie. I do hope I spelled that right; took German, not French.

runscott

Lifer
Jun 3, 2020
Washington State
I do too. Teaching English literature means having to be a little over the top. Great for telling old yarns.
One of my favorite teachers of all time was my Shakespeare teacher in college. He also told the greatest old yarn I've ever heard: A student asked about 'right and wrong' interpretations of literature, as we were being asked to write a paper about 'Hamlet'. Our professor told us about the time he had Ernest Hemingway's wife as a guest in his class. He lectured about the meaning of 'The Old Man and the Sea' and he said she kind of scrunched her eyes up and said, "Ernest never understood all the fuss about it - he said it was just a story about a fisherman."

• Haha

Old Smokey

Can't Leave
Feb 29, 2024
One of my favorite teachers of all time was my Shakespeare teacher in college. He also told the greatest old yarn I've ever heard: A student asked about 'right and wrong' interpretations of literature, as we were being asked to write a paper about 'Hamlet'. Our professor told us about the time he had Ernest Hemingway's wife as a guest in his class. He lectured about the meaning of 'The Old Man and the Sea' and he said she kind of scrunched her eyes up and said, "Ernest never understood all the fuss about it - he said it was just a story about a fisherman."
Reminds me of "A cigar is just a cigar."

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014

An online stalker situation is why I don't want followers.