Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

dragonslayer

Lifer
Dec 28, 2012
Pittsburgh
One of my young mentees from the other forum, who is not a man of means, took off the weekend and drove from TX to OK with his barbecue rig (he competes). He’s there feeding the homeless out of his own pocket. NOW that’s a pipe smoker.
Craig

boudreaux

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 7, 2013
Great story, admirable deed!
I've often read about folks who travel from one BBQ cookoff to another. I guess they're like Jack Nicholson's About Schmidt character, with a huge tricked out Winnebago.
Saw a really cool bbq pit made by a kid in welding shop class when I lived down near Mexico in a small farming town called Rio Hondo. He'd made it so that it looked exactly like a locomotive. Nearly bought it for the $500 asking price, but didn't because of the weight when having to load it onto my moving truck, even though it also had steel wheels. Beautiful work though.

irishjedi

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 31, 2013
Great news, thanks for sharing. He sounds like a stand up kinda guy.
Mike

waznyf

Apr 24, 2012
Texas
An angel on earth is what I'd call him. God bless him.

Thanks for sharing Craig. Story's like this are what make me so much more proud to be a pipe smoker. Too bad the politicians and anti-tobacco groups/lobbyists don't see it this way.
-Frank

simnettpratt

Lifer
Nov 21, 2011
Thanks for sharing, Craig. I'm glad he's able to feed homeless folks in OK and doesn't have to put tup with some of the miserable laws here in some cities in TX, where it's illegal to give homeless people food and even water not approved by the state, because it 'might not be nutritious enough'. Yeah, no food's way more nutritious.
I have truly found pipe smokers to be a cut above your average person.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
It's extremely difficult to dislike a man who feeds the hungry, and especially one

who makes good 'cue. That 'cue will break down resistance every time.

dragonslayer

Lifer
Dec 28, 2012
Pittsburgh
Just thought I'd let you know how it went. Best in his own words:
Trip went great. My son and I left early Saturday, after being given bad directions and told to go here and then there, we finally got to Emmanuel Baptist at about 1:30pm. I started charcoal in my Weber chimney immediately and then started to unpack. By the time we had the table and the thing that we sit under setup, I put the charcoal in the firebox and pecan on top of it. In about an hour (3pm), we finished setup, we dusted 6 briskets and 9 pork butts and the main chamber was at 300 degrees. We loaded all that up which lowered the temp to 225 b/c of the doors opening and shutting. While waiting we dusted up 12 more pork butts. We pulled the 1st round of pork butts off at 2am and put them in coolers. We loaded the 2nd round of butts we just dusted on the smoker. We pulled those and the 6 briskets off from 11am to 12:30 depending on when they reached temp. So, they had 6 briskets and 21 pork butts for lunch; I went to Sams and got 14 more pork butts and 2 racks of baby back ribs as a surprise for the Church leadership who had been there all week 16+ hours/day. I got back around 3 and cleaned out the fire box and started her back up again. This time we had 20 lb briskets so I only put 4 on and 12 pork butts which were a little smaller. Those got done around 2am; pulled those off and loaded the last 4 pork butts which got pulled off at 1pm. The 4 briskets got pulled at around 9am. I then put those baby back ribs on. They got done close to 2pm. I took them to the pastor and the older ladies that were working in the kitchen. Gone. HUT Hut! lol.. they looked pretty good. We got about 4 hours sleep total via cat naps. We were exhausted but it was totally worth it!
Think that says it all. The one thing that wasn't cool is Sam's club didn't discount anything.
Craig

wnghanglow

Mar 25, 2012
I wish i heard this stey earlier it warms my heart :) I would just like to give some positive advertisement to Crest Grocery store, if you were buying for those effected by the storm they gave an incredible discount.

Status
Not open for further replies.