PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

throbinson

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 19, 2014
Zurich, ON (Canada)
Seen a few threads about what Grandpa smoked, and lots of suggestions of what it was but looking to narrow the field.

One of those smells I miss but been so long I can't describe... but figured I could narrow it down by asking what were common brands/flavours in Ontario, Canada in the early-mid '80s.

So, what was '80s Grandpa smokin'?

Amphoria? Cpt Black? Borkum Rift?

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Depends on what generation the grandpa was or is. My dad was born in 1917 and smoked nothing but Granger in the foil pouch.

throbinson

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 19, 2014
Zurich, ON (Canada)
Um... born I think 1929... ish? But no idea at what age he started smoking a pipe though. May have started when he was 20, may have started when he was 60, so... can't go by generation really. Plus may have switched brands over the years. So... that's why I figured what was common and easily gotten in the '80s in Ontario. I know he wasn't going to the USA or ordering through the mail for it.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
My father's father smoked pipes and had a rack of them beside his chair in the living room. I have the circular rack with an amber glass tobacco jar, but I have no idea what tobacco he smoked. I believe he was born in the 1870's. His dad was born in the 1840's, but I do not know if he smoked a pipe or smoked at all.

My mom's dad smoked cigars, Romeo & Julieta or however that is spelled. He sometimes used a cigar holder mouthpiece, just the short kind. I was a very lucky child having known all four of my grandparents for the years of my growing up, and was particularly close to my dad's mom and my mom's dad. We shared humor and wonderful outings. Those two were particularly fond of me. My mom's dad quoted me with great delight to his hiking club friends and others.

If I notice one deficiency in the lives of kids these days it is their lack of relationship with their grandparents, and therefore their lack of a sense of family history. Having grandparents who you knew and loved gives you permission to attain some age yourself.

I also had a great aunt who I knew when she was in her nineties. She had been married to the author James Willard Schultz who spent his teenage years and long visits in his adult life living with the Blackfoot Indians.

Last edited:

throbinson

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 19, 2014
Zurich, ON (Canada)
My Dad smoked a pipe before I was born. My mom apparently came out to show him a brand new dress she had, and a bit of tobacco popped out of the pipe and burnt a hole through the dress. He never smoked again. He had the pipes and stand for years in the basement, but wasn't until too late when I found out that when they moved they just tossed it in the trash. Falcon, couple Brighams, and another one... :(

My Dad was 20yrs older than my mom, so, people thought he was my grandpa... and he was almost as old as my Grandpa on my mom's side. :D

But both long gone... no tins or pipes, nothing but that imagined smell that once in a while you catch a whiff of but then it's gone.

I'd imagine it was a drugstore brand... back when drug stores sold health care products and tobacco. :D

Was about to order some pipe tobacco... been many many year's since I have. I smoke, but outside only so, almost never in winter and maybe only a few times a month otherwise, so it lasts. I shop online through the USA and get the 1oz or 2oz samples. And tins of Old Dublin, which is my favourite.

Never tried Amphoria or Borkum, I did try Cpt Black original, some gave to me when I first started smoking a pipe, but wow was it ever dried out and old. I know how to rehydrate now. Was going to try the 5-sample Cpt Black, has all the flavours. Maybe it was one of those.

I had Lane-1, Prince Albert and Sir Walter, when I started about 6yrs ago... can't find my notebook, because I liked one and meh for the other two... but those also been around a while. Maybe one of them.

Reactions: Mrs. Pickles

John_B

Might Stick Around
May 11, 2023
My Grandad died in 1950 aged 75. As I wasn't born til 1961, I have no knowledge of him, apart from what my late Mother told me. He smoked Pigtail Twist in a very small pipe and when he was blind in later years my Mum used to slice and prepare his smokes. I keep some similar twist as an homage to him but it is a very stout smoke indeed. Cudos to his constitution. He was no nicotine lightweight !

Reactions: upnorth1

pappymac

Lifer
Feb 26, 2015
Both my grandfathers died before I was born. I did know my maternal step-grandfather and he was a pipe smoker. I have one of his Yello-Bole briar Spartans.
He smoked George Washington until the stopped making it in the mid-1970s. Then he switched to Carter Hall.

Architeuthis

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 17, 2021
Don't know if it was available or common in Canada, but my grandfather smoked Rum and Maple. I have an empty tin as a momento...