Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

G

Gimlet

It's in lot's of blends, especially OTC types, but how are we all saying it in our heads as we read tobacco reviews?

Merriam-Webster says it's ANN-iss, but an article I found says it comes from the French and an-NIECE is correct. I think any time I've had to say it out loud I've alternated so that I am only wrong 1/2 the time.

So, what say you all?
I like to grow Anise Hyssop in my garden (wonderful plant, by the way. Every garden that can should have them). The correct pronounciation is an-NIECE. As with the spice star an-NIECE.

Ann-ISS comes from aniseed which is a contraction - because it's easier to say - of the correct an-NIECE seed.

Last edited by a moderator:

makhorkasmoker

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 17, 2021
Central Florida
Pronunciation differences of that kind are matters of fashion. Either is “correct” but the effect of whichever you choose will change with time and place, the people you are talking to.

Reactions: Steddy

Bassman65

Can't Leave
Nov 30, 2022
Canada
People from cool places can say what they like, but anybody from the US saying anything other than ANN-iss sounds like he's trying to sound like he's from a cool place.
I guess Canada would be considered a cool place, maybe even a cold one 😂. Maybe it’s a- niece up here due to the French influence? 🤷‍♂️

• Haha
Reactions: ThermionicScott