PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

clanobucklin

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 19, 2010
Tried my second bowl of this blend this morning in a Wally Frank "Donkey Nut" pipe that I had restemmed. Overall - still in the not bad category. Cocoa, honey still hovering way in the background - while the cinnamon takes the forefront.

maduroman

May 15, 2010
after my 1st bowl i have to say to me it has a geezer blend feel to it....... and i like it. will load up the cob later today for a test run. so far so good.

marmal4de

Lifer
Feb 20, 2011
Richmond, BC
Me three, on the waiting. This blend is far outside what I would normally smoke, but I love to fish, and when I fish I smoke OTC blends, so this may just fit the bill.

nikko

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 15, 2011
I'm also waiting, hopefully the it will come with the mail today. Haven't found my niche in what blends I like, so with every new one I try, I'm optimistic.

seanz

May 8, 2011
Southland NZ
I am thinking it will take a while to get down this neck of the woods. some things take only 5 or 6 days and then others can be 3 weeks.

shaintiques

Lifer
Jul 13, 2011
Georgia
yeah mine came today, smells very nice, haven't smoked it yet, but I thnk I may need to go fishing this weekend to give it a proper break in.

ace57

Lifer
Jun 21, 2011
Got mine today, Well My 1st review. Here goes, Good & bad. Came fast, nice size sample. Now for the bad, All I could smell was the bag it came in, when smoking it there was a biter taste didn't taste any thing but a cheap dime store cigar. I tried it in a clean pipe too. I have a bad taste in My mouth now. I had high hopes for this blend and now it's going in My junk baccy jar in hopes that it will pick up some better taste. The fish are not biting on this one for Me. (name is better than the taste) IMO I would call it fish bate not angler's dream. Sorry Russ it's a no go for Me, I do hope others like it.

Jun 26, 2011
Pacific Northwest USA
Had a 2nd bowl yesterday in a cob.

Just now about 1/2 way through my 3rd bowl, this time in a freshly refurbed Yorkshire meer lined bulldog.

All 3 bowls have been the same with respect to being harsh and almost bitey at the initial light.

The 1st bowl in a briar prince remained so for the whole bowl. Sharp, hot.

The too hot to enjoy bite aspect mellowed about 1/2 way through with the cob and that bowl finished up, well, just tasteless.

The one I'm smoking now in a meer lined bowl lost the really sharp aspect after the charring light and subsequent tamping. The bowl has settled down now to what I can only assume is the cinnamon.

I think clanobucklin nailed with his reference to the Hot Tamales candies.

There is a hint of burley nuttyness in the background, but a hint only. The cut packs easily, burns well. I'm able to keep the bowl going with a gentle sip. But I simply get nothing but a strong spice from the smoke, no tobacco.
My sincerest thanks to you Russ for the opportunity to try this new blend. I hope any feedback from this thread is of a help.

I'll be staying with your other fine blends for the now. AJ's VaPer, Stogie, Virginia Spice remain strong in my cellar.

Jul 15, 2011
after my 1st bowl i have to say to me it has a geezer blend feel to it
I just smoked my first bowl of this and I have to say that I agree. To me, the taste is almost a combination of Captain Black White and Half and Half. The smoke is a little bitter on first light, but once you do the charring light and get the baccy going, slow sipping reveals a pleasant sweet flavor that is definitely akin to cinnamon. There is an almost bitter component to the smoke, and seeing as how this sample arrived very dry, the smoke was a little hotter than I would have liked. It did cool down when I acquired plenty of top ash and the flavor remained fairly neutral and a little sweet. The girlfriend and the roommates definitely liked the room note, which is always a consideration for me, so thats a plus. Is this a blend that I would buy? Maybe. I think it is a nice throwback to those old "codger" blends. Is it a go to blend? I would say no. Dont get me wrong. I am glad I tried it, and it is not all bad, just not something I can see myself smoking for days on end. Thanks to Russ for the free sample and for letting us all try it.

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
The first bowl I smoked of this was good, with the chocolate flavors predominating. The next two, in the same pipe, were not so good. I let it dry out for two days,and am now smoking it in a big old Suffolk I use for aromatics. It is a good smoke, and the cinnamon is definitely up front. Will I buy more? Dunno. I am not a big aromatic smoker. We'll see. Glad I had a chance to try it, though.

spartan

Lifer
Aug 14, 2011
I got mine in the mail yesterday. I will try it tonight and add my review to the list. Looking forward to the "Hot Tamale" everyon seems to be getting.

rickpal14

Lifer
Jun 9, 2011
I live 5 miles away from them and I still haven't got mine yet..... so anxious to try it!!!!!! :crying:

whitebriar

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 14, 2010
have had a couple of bowls so far--surprisingly i haven't encountered the cinnamon--it does tingle the tongue like red hot candies, but i can't taste the cinnamon--not a bad smoke--i could definitely live on it if couldn't get any of my old standbys, but wouldn't actively seek it out--
i hate to say that last statement when Russ was nice enough to send along a sample--i just seem to like a more earthy tobacco--

blendtobac

Lifer
Oct 16, 2009
I'm sorry about the slow shipping on the samples, but we have one person who was assigned this job, and he's been flooded with other work, but we'll keep sending some out each day until we catch up.
Russ

spartan

Lifer
Aug 14, 2011
No need to apologize for FREE tobacco! They can smoke a pipe while they wait :puffy:

Thanks again for the free sample!

Status
Not open for further replies.