PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

uberam3rica

Lifer
Sep 7, 2011
Capac, Michigan
For those of you that missed the thread, I talked to the chef at the restaurant I work at, and he said he would hook me up. Well, one of the managers told me today that next week I will be trained to be an expediter. For those that don't know what that is, the expediter is the guy who takes the tickets from the servers and gives it to the cooks on the line. he then gets the servers order ready for them to take out to the customers. My pay will be the same (which is fine, as it is more then I made at McDonalds), but I will now get tips.

Aug 1, 2012
Good to hear. It's not the easiest job in a restaurant but if you've worked hard enough to impress the chef this much, you'll do fine. Congrats and enjoy the step up the ladder.

phred

Lifer
Dec 11, 2012
Nice! And closer to the front of the house than I ever got, or wanted to... :D

taerin

Lifer
May 22, 2012
I used to do that job for a restaurant, way better than washing dishes for sure.

numbersix

Lifer
Jul 27, 2012
Congrats Ben - that's great to hear. They must see something in you (and getting tips is a raise in my book). :puffy:
You're another Gordon Ramsey in the making!
gordon-ramsay-yelling-meme-chicken.jpg

kashmir

Lifer
May 17, 2011
Northern New Jersey
In 1982 I got a job as a dishwasher in Santa Cruz, CA, at the famous bar/restaurant Cooper House. A century old huge yellow brick Victorian set in the center of the Santa Cruz pedestrian mall. Over the next several years, I climbed my way up to waiter, prep cook, sous chef, bartender and finally Master Chef. On Saturday mornings we'd easily have 100+ folks milling about waiting for the doors to open. Those were heady times as the famous Santa Cruz Catalyst was just down the way - venue to greats like Jerry Garcia, BB King, Steve Ray Vaun, the Ramones, Talking Heads, Cheap Trick, etc. The only building to fully collapse in Santa Cruz during the Loma Prieta earthquake was the Cooper House. The only fatality also occurred as the building collapsed. A young barista standing next to the century old brick facade.

numbersix

Lifer
Jul 27, 2012
In 1982 I got a job as a dishwasher in Santa Cruz, CA
I had a job as a dishwasher in the late 70s. One of the worst jobs I ever had. I only lasted a month. :puffy:
The only building to fully collapse in Santa Cruz during the Loma Prieta earthquake was the Cooper House. The only fatality also occurred as the building collapsed. A young barista standing next to the century old brick facade.
Sorry to hear it. My sister-in-law lives in Santa Cruz. Just before the quake struck she was about to enter a mall, was in the parking lot when it hit. IIRC, the mall collapsed. She was very lucky.

4dotsasieni

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 6, 2013
Congratulations on the promotion. Now you've got to watch a few episodes of "Hell's Kitchen" and learn how to yell and swear like Gordon Ramsay (as suggested in the photo posted by numbersix).

Aug 14, 2012
Congrats dude. Hard work pays off. Now you have a tougher job for the same pay, but it could lead upwards. I forgot what we used to call that job in the restaurant business, a something or other man. Not a picnic. Don't give up until you become the manager, at least.

Status
Not open for further replies.