PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

OzPiper

Lifer
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia
Some of the food sounds enticing, and other of it sounds off-putting to my provincial tastes, but the presentation is most tasteful and sophisticated.

I suspect the invited guests were selected for their culinary adventurousness and would have not missed a single course.
Oh I was very careful who I invited.
Some of my friends are quite squirmish when it comes to offal.

I was tempted to serve up durian, but that would be testing the friendship boundaries rotf

mingc

Lifer
Jun 20, 2019
The Big Rock Candy Mountains
@OzPiper, I'm very impressed with your combination of Chinese soy braised offals with Euro tinned fish, wines and confectionary!

I'll have to try your pickled fennel and saffron. I routinely make Malaysian style pickled sliced green chillis and like the balance of 2 parts water, 2 parts white vinegar and 0.75 parts sugar and will try that with the fennel. What do you think of throwing a red chilli into the mix?

OzPiper

Lifer
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia
@OzPiper, I'm very impressed with your combination of Chinese soy braised offals with Euro tinned fish, wines and confectionary!

I'll have to try your pickled fennel and saffron. I routinely make Malaysian style pickled sliced green chillis and like the balance of 2 parts water, 2 parts white vinegar and 0.75 parts sugar and will try that with the fennel. What do you think of throwing a red chilli into the mix?
The chilli will give it a nice “kick”. I would have added one if I had some on hand, but I wasn‘t going to buy a whole bag

The bulb fennel we get here has a very mild flavour and works best in a salad or a gratin
The next time I will add some fennel seeds to the pickling liquid

OzPiper

Lifer
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia
Oh my goodness, that looks fantastic. Here in Spain it is typical the pig's snouts and feet, in spicy sauce.
Pigs trotters (feet) are commonplace in Chinese cuisine
(We love the glutinous texture of slow braised skin and tendons)

The snout not so common.
But from time to time soy-braised deboned pigs head (including snout and ears) are available from the shop where I sourced most of the dishes

Dec 10, 2013
Nijmegen, the Netherlands
Congatas OZ, great lunch !
When in NY we often lunched that Jing Fong's.
Chicken feet is a regular on the menu.
900 mainly Chinese folk having lunch, what a cacophony.
The situation on the men's toilet was just unspeakable.
But the food brothers; what delicious food.
Any of you familiair with the restaurant ?

OzPiper

Lifer
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia
Congatas OZ, great lunch !
When in NY we often lunched that Jing Fong's.
Chicken feet is a regular on the menu.
900 mainly Chinese folk having lunch, what a cacophony.
The situation on the men's toilet was just unspeakable.
But the food brothers; what delicious food.
Any of you familiair with the restaurant ?
No I’m not familiar with Jin Fong’s in NY

We’re fortunate to have a lot of Yum Cha restaurants in Sydney
I tend to avoid the “palaces” and frequent the smaller establishments usually.
One of my favourites always has chickens feet, 2 varieties of tripe and beef tendon on their menu regularly. They also have beef offal stew (with lung, heart and other bits and pieces) occasionally.

• Love
Reactions: orlandofurioso
Dec 10, 2013
Nijmegen, the Netherlands
This is the menu :
We had the best dim sum lunches ever. It is not so much a "palace" , it is only an enormous dinner room ; the food is close to authentic. The waitresses btw only spoke cantonese.
Now that I'm a bit older, 8 hrs. in a plane puts me off totally.

Reactions: kcghost and OzPiper

OzPiper

Lifer
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia
This is the menu :
We had the best dim sum lunches ever. It is not so much a "palace" , it is only an enormous dinner room ; the food is close to authentic. The waitresses btw only spoke cantonese.
Now that I'm a bit older, 8 hrs. in a plane puts me off totally.
My favourite Yum Cha restaurant, Marigold Restaurant, was in the Sydney Chinatown. Unfortunately it is now closed - a victim of the pandemic

I particularly loved going there with a friend, a retired chinese chef, who knew most of the serving staff at that restaurant.
He always requested a table just outside the kitchen so as to get the first pick from the laden trolleys coming out

mingc

Lifer
Jun 20, 2019
The Big Rock Candy Mountains
I could have eaten the duck liver, the smoked duck, the roast duck, and the asparagus fried rice. Would have tried the pickled fennel dish. I would have been down on the desert.
Lotus root and black fungus are both vegetables and don't taste funky at all. The more palatable name for black fungus is woodear and it is commercially cultivated just like regular mushrooms, as is lotus root.

@OzPiper you may be aware that pork small intestines are a tradition African-American "soul" food in the southern USA. I've had them served to me breaded and deep-fried.

OzPiper

Lifer
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia
@OzPiper you may be aware that pork small intestines are a tradition African-American "soul" food in the southern USA. I've had them served to me breaded and deep-fried.
A Chinese BBQ shop/restaurant in the Sydney Chinatown used to have fried pigs large intestine (soy braised first)
Nice crispy crunch on the outside but soft inside. One of the “must order” items if it is on.

I haven’t been for a few years, so I’m not sure if it is on the menu still

Reactions: kcghost and mingc

OzPiper

Lifer
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia
I have not had chitterlings

Whenever I am in a French Bistrot, traiteur or deli I keep an eye out for andouillettes

Pigs small intestines are a must have in Chinese pigs offal congee (rice porridge)

Reactions: mingc
Jun 18, 2020
Wilmington, NC
Next up:
Soy and Szechuan pepper braised duck intestine, soy braised pig intestine, salad of pig stomach, salad of pig ears, braised beef tripe, boneless chicken feet with chilli oil, bean curd and black fungus salad and a lotus root salad
Also tea-smoked duck and roast duck and asparagus fried rice
View attachment 236467View attachment 236468
I would try all of that