PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

winton

Lifer
Oct 20, 2010
If you have ever seen amish woodworking you would know that it is incredible. I would love to see what that craftsmanship would do with a pipe.

beefeater33

Lifer
Apr 14, 2014
Central Ohio
Imagine the Amish getting rich and buying up all the non-Amish farms around them.
gigger, I live in central Ohio. There is a rather large Amish population just to the north, in Mt. Victory Ohio. They are already "rich", and they do buy up the surrounding properties (farmland) when its available. And they pay CASH...................

There simple lifestyle hides the fact that they are quite well off financially. They just don't flaunt it. They barter among themselves for goods, and keep their money, from one generation to the next. I used to go to a lot of farm auctions and have personally seen them buy goods and farms- always pay cash.

beefeater33

Lifer
Apr 14, 2014
Central Ohio
Gigger-

Been to Lorain several times. I used to go walleye fishing with a friend every year, we put the boat in on the Black river and went on out to Lake Erie from there. Some great fishing around those parts. You are right about the Amish Oak quality- excellent workmanship, and if you drive up there the prices are really reasonable. Those are pieces that will become family heirlooms. Being an OSU grad how about those Buckeyes this year?

tobyducote

Lifer
Jun 10, 2012
New Orleans
This stuff is a scam....the reviews on Amazon are horrible.....I've never wasted money on this crap, but from the reviews it doesn't do anything they claim...

gambit88

Can't Leave
Jan 25, 2015
I picked up a bottle to test it out. It didn't do much to the junk bowl i tested it on. The color and scent remind me of guitar polish though. If nothing else I probably have 10 years worth of guitar polish now.

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
Simon, if the lawyering doesn't work out for you, there's a director's chair waiting on the set of "Plain People, Hard Livin', Hot Babes in Bonnets: The Amish Outlaws"

Don't forget the episode where Jedediah Stoltzfus pimps out his goats from the back of his cousin Leander's Crack Wagon.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Likely crafting pipes would be considered a vanity when a cob pipe will do as well. When you could

spend the time mending tack and barn raising.

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
There's a lot less dogma and a lot more leeway in the Amish lifestyle than we have been led to believe. I personally know Amish who drive trucks and heavy equipment, use electricity and spend hours every day on eBay as part of the businesses that they run.
Then, there are the Amish strip clubs....

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
I hear that NBC will be replacing Brian Williams with someone that the public finds more trustworthy....

aMISHnbc-vi.jpg

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
OK time for another ethnic joke at the Amish's expense. By the way do you think they have an Amish pipe club somewhere?
An Amish boy and his father were in a mall. They were amazed by almost everything they saw, but especially by two shiny, silver walls that could move apart and then slide back together again.
The boy asked, "what is this Father?"
The father (never having seen an elevator) responded, "Son, I have never seen anything like this in my life, I don't know what it is."
While the boy and his father were watching with amazement, a fat old lady in a wheelchair moved up to the moving walls and pressed a button. The walls opened and the lady rolled between them into a small room. The walls closed and the boy and his father watched the small circular numbers above the walls light up sequentially.
They continued to watch until it reached the last number and then the numbers began to light in the reverse order. Finally the walls opened up again and a gorgeous 24-year-old blonde stepped out.
The father said quietly to his son, "go and get your mother."

Jun 4, 2014
Condorlover1 that was a good one!
Since its joke time again, A Dutchman was walking to his barn when he saw a man with a beard drinking from the farm pond with his hand. He yelled out "Trinken Die nicht die Wasser, die Kuhe und die Schweine haben in ihm geschissen! (Don't drink the water the cows and pigs have shit in it!)

The man shouts back "I am a Muslim, I don't understand, nor do I care to understand your gibberish, you infidel!"

The Dutchman yells back "I said use both hands you'll get more!"

beefeater33

Lifer
Apr 14, 2014
Central Ohio
Just an observation-- School for the my kids has been cancelled for the last 3 days, sub zero temperatures. I drove through "Amish Country" today at 3 pm. 6-7 year old kids walking home from school, lunchpails in hand. I really think we're way to soft as a society anymore, my God man, its just wintertime.............

buroak

Lifer
Jul 29, 2014
huntertrw and beefeater33 make excellent points. We can laugh at the Amish all we like, but they can take solace in their success. They have skills, financial strength rooted in frugality, and, at least in my business dealings with them, a well-honed shrewdness. They also find creative workarounds to be productive and competitive under their religious rules. Case in point, an Amish fellow I met makes high-end playground equipment using tools such as pneumatic routers. He may not use electricity, but he does use labor-saving technologies.

buroak

Lifer
Jul 29, 2014
They often also work closely in business with "English" who can use automobiles and the Internet.

paranoidpiper

Might Stick Around
Feb 16, 2015
Due to my ability to cultivate a magnificent beard but not able grow a moustache I am often mistaken for an amish man until they notice my tattoos..unless theirdumb enough to not know they don't allow tattoos...or believe Amish mafia and think im a Mennonite.

daimyo

Lifer
May 15, 2014
I respect those that can live a monastic style life and hold fast to their ideals. To be honest I must say that well made wood furniture, food grown in front of your eyes and a tight knit community that helps one another is appealing. That said I do love my modern comforts and conveniences so while it may not be for me, I wish them well. Still... this is funny.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MuobI8NLM4U

Status
Not open for further replies.