PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

wyfbane

Lifer
Apr 26, 2013
Tennessee
I smell a bit of hypocrisy abound.
Ok, that doesn't make sense, but I take your meaning.
Ventura was a WWE wrestler, a politician who didn't get re-elected, and a person whose latest venture {see what I did there) was some whacked out tv show about conspiracy theories.
I wasn't kidding. His role in Predator and, actually, Running Man were the best things he ever did after the military.
Don't want to be ridiculed? Don't do stuff to get ridiculed...
Kyle didn't even get a chance to land on the other side of this before his life was snuffed out.
Sadness.

johnnyreb

Lifer
Aug 21, 2014
"Ventura was a WWE wrestler, a politician who didn't get re-elected, ..."
"Kyle didn't even get a chance to land on the other side of this before his life was snuffed out."
See, this is exactly why I waited so long to comment on this. I knew this is what it would turn into. I don't care if the plaintiff against Kyle had been Joe Sixpack or Colin Powell; makes no difference! The man was wronged and filed suit because of it.
There were many witnesses to what happened in the bar that night. Kyle had his posse, Ventura had his posse, & members of the public were present. I have not read the trial transcripts but I find it very interesting that not one witness was able to substantiate Kyle's version of the story that he told in so many interviews and in his book. There may have been a kernel of truth there somewhere but that tells me it was basically a lie. Kyle and his publisher wanted the bump it would bring to book sales and to possibly pitch a movie; why else even make it up? He was counting on not getting sued; most public figures would rather not have the publicity that comes with the lawsuit. Unfortunately for Kyle this time the plaintiff felt he couldn't just turn the other cheek. Kyle's claim was not confirmed in court; Ventura's case was affirmed.
Fact check: Ventura served one term as governor. He did not run for reelection and therefore did not lose. In fact he has never lost an election.

tbradsim1

Lifer
Jan 14, 2012
Southwest Louisiana
As sad and reluctant to say this I have to agree with Johnnyreb, the only thing to me that didn't ring true to me was the punch on Ventura. All the other fowl mouth ranting venture did ring true with me.

lordnoble

Lifer
Jul 13, 2010
I can't believe this thread made it to 3 pages.

It's been a ride and I'm not sure where I stand but I'm about 90% sure the political line has been crossed. I'm 100% sure that if it hasn't, it's on the downward spiral. Also, we had a brief starcat interlude in the middle which tells me this thread has seen it's time.
I'd like to make a small point about the article that newsbroom posted. Coming from a background in filmmaking and having spent a great deal of my life looking critically at all moving pictures, the article reads like a critique of the film from one who has studied film language. Having not seen the film yet, I can't give any personal insights or give my take on Lee's critique (the author of the blog, whether it be a pseudonym or not is Lee Papa), but I'm not immediately discounting the review outright just because I may or may not agree with his overt political views.
Thanks for all who participated, I enjoyed the ride even if I did hurl at the end.
-Jason

Status
Not open for further replies.