PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

haroldt

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 4, 2013
Melbourne, Fl
Chasing Embers - It's on my list. Between this post and one other I made (at the same time) asking for suggestions, I have a list of 42 unique blends. I'm ordering a few at a time.
Death Metal - I'm not sure If I could smoke Ol' Joe all day. That SOB has kicked and ass on more than one occasion. I came in from the back porch one night a tad on the green side. My wife took one look and asked "are you going to be alright?" I told here, "... Old Joe and that double scotch and water I poured just suckered punched me. I'm going to have to sleep it off!"

tennsmoker

Lifer
Jul 2, 2010
Haroldt: C&D is one of my favorite manufacturers. Been with them since they first moved to Morgantown, N.C., and are now in Little River with SP.com. The late Craig Tarler was a friend to all pipe smokers and Chris, his son, is following in his dad's footsteps.
Now, they have the best burleys on the planet! (My opinion, of course).
If you like American, commonly referred to as "codger blends", then C&D is the right place to be. One of my favorites is Epiphany, a match for Revelation, the blend Mr. Einstein smoked. I smoked the old Revelation in my college days and Epiphany is pretty darn close.
Junk Yard Dog is another which has been mentioned here. I also like OJK, but it is just a tad strong for me, and I've been smoking pipes for 40+ years. Pegasus is another good 'un. Also, don't overlook Crowley's Best.

C&D also has some Burleys (Nos. 1-4) that are pretty good on their own, and mix well with groups.
I also second Russ's Midtown Series. Good stuff. P&C's Match Blends are on target as well, and I also am a fan of Pipe Works and Wilke's burley blends.
You got enough now to empty out your wallet.
That's what we do around here. We give you so many choices, you are going to like 10 or 20 of them.

haroldt

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 4, 2013
Melbourne, Fl
Finally got around to trying Junkyard Dawg! That some good stuff. I find it to be Old Joe Krantz "light" I think it, together with Old Joe, will find a permanent spot on the tobbaccy shelf.

haroldt

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 4, 2013
Melbourne, Fl
Tennsmoker - that was a funny post you made.
Epiphany had been suggested to me in the past. I tried it. Loved the it, but the smoke caused a stranger tingling sensation to my face. I often wonder if I'm allergic to Perique? I find (or think I find) blends that are heavy handed in this cause me issues. However, I did find it blends will with other English products. So I take about 25% of it toe some Dunhill products and it provides a nice smoke.

skraps

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 9, 2015
Epiphany had been suggested to me in the past. I tried it. Loved the it, but the smoke caused a stranger tingling sensation to my face. I often wonder if I'm allergic to Perique? I find (or think I find) blends that are heavy handed in this cause me issues.
Strange... Epiphany is very light handed in the Perique department compared to OJK which is 25%. I suspect it is not the Perique you are having issues with, especially if you like OJK and have no problems.
In general, you can't go wrong with the C&D Burley blends. A few of them are a bit rough around the edges, but they are classic.

Status
Not open for further replies.