Am I defective because I don't like sandblasted pipes?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

fitzy

Lifer
Nov 13, 2012
NY
Phil we want to see you with that pipe in use. lmao
Everyone has their own opinion on what they find attractive.
I do give you one challenge though metal. Tell me you don't think these are attractive pipes:
FH02231MainF.jpg

FH02180MainF.jpg

FH02365MainF.jpg

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
I actually recently just became almost obsessed with sandblasted pipes. My inexpensive Capri smokes wonderfully, too bad I can't find it right now....

brass

Lifer
Jun 4, 2014
United States
Cosmic, you kill me.
I preferred straight and flame grain pipes the first couple of decades of pipe smoking. Like many, I was under the impression that blasted, rusticated or carved finishes were used to cover pits and/or inferior grain. I still think most carved pipes use pitted briar.
However, I have gained an appreciation of blasted and rusticated pipes both for aesthetic and tactile characteristics. I would love to get one of Bruce Weaver's pipes.
BTW, most partially rusticated pipes look like smooth briar covered partially with leprosy.

Think of the Star Trek episode "Miri" where the kids got a fatal disease, including ugly skin patches, when they reached adolescence. Pax

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
I wouldn't say that you are defective
I appreciate it, Peck.
Phil, that's quite a pipe. Uh... perfect for baby showers?
It may be I haven't met the right textured pipe yet. Well, there's time. I generally do not have PAD, being a philistine of rough living habits, but TAD gets me sometimes when the night is dark and the moon is full.
Although I still think Penzance is just re-branded Mixture 79.

brass

Lifer
Jun 4, 2014
United States
P.S.
I DO think, the money being equal, it is easier to find a very nice blast than it is to find really nice grain. Every time I see a pic of of a pipe with nice flame or straight grain that gets my endorphins flowing, I check the price and it inevitably will cost $500 plus. Of course, some of the deep, craggy blasts will cost about as much.

Status
Not open for further replies.