PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mikethompson

Lifer
Jun 26, 2016
Near Toronto, Ontario, Canada
It is an individual thing I guess. If you can get a good smoke out of a cob, and an equally good one out of a briar, then functionally they are no different.
But part of pipe smoking for me is the esthetic value of the grain and shaping of briar. When you smoke as infrequently as I do, everything in the experience counts.

mrenglish

Lifer
Dec 25, 2010
Columbus, Ohio
I have a few cob nose warmers with Forever stems on them. They do not get smoked much but they serve a purpose and get smoked when doing chores. They smoke well, but briar is better, imo.

bnichols23

Lifer
Mar 13, 2018
SC Piedmont
Cobs is good. Briar is good. Meer is good. Wood is (usually) good. Plastic (e.g., Brylon, The Pipe, etc.) is not good.
Cobs is fine; I like 'em. I just like briar more.

prndl

Lifer
Apr 30, 2014
I like cobs.
I just don't like the way my favorite tobaccos taste in them.

azpipe

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 25, 2015
Crazy? Not at all. This hobby is subjective. Listen to others but enjoy what you like and formulate your own opinions. There's too much good stuff out there just waiting to be discovered.

tavol

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 23, 2018
I've only owned half a dozen cobs so I'm not expert but I've found English blends to smoke particularly poorly in a cob, in terms of flavour.

crashthegrey

Lifer
Dec 18, 2015
Cobleskill, NY
www.greywoodie.com
Is briar better than cob? That is immaterial even if it is true.
Not immaterial. Not at all. Is briar better than cob? Absolutely. And it is very material. Briar smokes better, and I'm inclined to choose a briar because of it. If something is better, it is certainly important. A good technique and a good tobacco can make cobs a little less disappointing, but a good briar will make the same tobacco an enjoyable experience. YMMV

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Is briar better than cob? Absolutely.
Briar smokes better
A good technique and a good tobacco can make cobs a little less disappointing, but a good briar will make the same tobacco an enjoyable experience.
And those are still just opinions.

nitemair13

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 24, 2018
North Carolina
The only briar pipe that I've ever noticed to be any different than my cobs was my Nording. My other briars smoke about the same to me. But that's just me, I love the simplicity of the cob pipe but everyone has their preferences. Smoke what you enjoy.

sparroa

Lifer
Dec 8, 2010
Briar has many advantages over cob but it is not inherently superior.
I have smoked many drugstore pipes like Grabows that were inferior to my simple cobs.
Even if one is smoking exceptional briar, it is still just a vessel. Tobacco is my focus and that is what I concentrate on. Aesthetics and prestige are things that give briar a substantial edge but a fine casual smoke from a Missouri Meerschaum is preferable to me.
(And real Turkish meerschaums are also starting to appeal more and more to me)

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
I notice a lot of people use the phrase "proper technique". Sometimes "proper technique" is just a euphemism for turning your pipe smoking into a chore instead of an enjoyment. A lot of stress on "proper technique" tells me some people are having to work very hard to coax a good smoke out of their briars, ironically enough.

thomasw

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 5, 2016
The cob renders a certain flavour that some do not appreciate. While briar does so, too; though more tend to like the flavour of a briar. I prefer the flavour of briar both new and well-seasoned to that of the cob flavour. Some say meerschaum and clay afford the most flavour neutral piping. That is likely but I do like the flavours of cobs and briars and what they give to a smoke. As primarily a burley-o-phile, I do like the taste of a good old burley in a cob when I am busy casting my flies on a river or lake.

cajomu

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 15, 2018
In my experience, the most important consideration in the smoking qualities of a pipe is not what it's made of or who made it but how well it is maintained and, especially, how clean it is. I prefer African meerschaums to briars because they are easier to maintain (e.g., they don't need to be rested as often), although I smoke both kinds regularly. When I first try a new tobacco, I usually smoke it in a clay pipe, because they impart the least flavor to the smoke. The problem with them is that they have very small bowls and get very hot. My least favorite type of pipe are porcelain pipes. I have a couple and, while they are beautiful to look at, they are the only kind of pipes that I would say smoke badly.
As for cobs, I think they are especially well-suited for Virginia flakes, less so English blends and aromatics. I have a couple of Missouri Meerschaum Generals that I reserve for high quality flakes, and they give me some of my most enjoyable smokes.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I can't really join in; I like both. Briar is God's gift to pipe smokers, but cobs are the light of angels. Okay, those metaphors didn't work, but both materials are superb. They favor different blends, but also smoke some blends equally well if somewhat differently. I'm just has happy lighting up the cobs as the briars, and I have treasured pipes in both categories. Briar and cobs, fine and dandy.

artificialme

Can't Leave
Mar 15, 2018
CObs or Briars, they serve their purpose well. To be smoked. that's it. I only have 2 briars and 1 cob. I like them equally ( 33,3% each, with 0,1% for something I never think about). As long as they smoked well, aesthetic comes second

Status
Not open for further replies.