PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
I sent my Altinok to Rich at Briarville to replace the stem. I wrote to match for as close as possible and wanted wide and thin since I'm a clincher. Below is what I received back. He also told me it would be $35 to $45, it was $59. Below is what I received back. Why couldn't be have sent me a photo to check if it was acceptable? I was flabbergasted it was so incredibly bad after reading good things about Briarville here. He refunded my money but who cares? I just wanted a reasonable replacement. Who would purple recommend?

6D345295-DBFE-494B-A2FA-C59029B463EE.jpeg

1BF0F8C4-7E00-4A19-81A2-C080D1123693.jpeg

pantsBoots

Lifer
Jul 21, 2020
Terra Firma
I sent my Altinok to Rich at Briarville to replace the stem. I wrote to match for as close as possible and wanted wide and thin since I'm a clincher. Below is what I received back. He also told me it would be $35 to $45, it was $59. Below is what I received back. Why couldn't be have sent me a photo to check if it was acceptable? I was flabbergasted it was so incredibly bad after reading good things about Briarville here. He refunded my money but who cares? I just wanted a reasonable replacement. Who would purple recommend?

View attachment 212244

View attachment 212245

Forgive my ignorance, but what is the problem with the replacement stem? I think I see tool chatter marks that could just be a trick of light in the pic, but if they are chatter, then, yes, $59 for a hastily-made stem is not reasonable.

I ask because I have a couple pipes that will be receiving new stems soon and am looking at my options.

Reactions: hoosierpipeguy
Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
Forgive my ignorance, but what is the problem with the replacement stem? I think I see tool chatter marks that could just be a trick of light in the pic, but if they are chatter, then, yes, $59 for a hastily-made stem is not reasonable.

I ask because I have a couple pipes that will be receiving new stems soon and am looking at my options.
It's shit brown color instead of red and the bit is narrower and thicker when I specifically requested thin and wide. It's clear he got in a hurry and half assed it. Looking for alternative recommendations

craig61a

Lifer
Apr 29, 2017
Minnesota USA
FWIW, in order to get a similar look and profile, somebody would have to cut a new stem from rod stock. Time and materials cost would probably run in the neighborhood of $100, at least that’s what I would expect my guy to charge.

Vermont Freehand Acrylic 20mm Amber/Tortoise looks about the closest as far as I can tell.

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
I don't care if it's $100 as long as it is reasonably close in color and geometry. Doesn't have to be identical. $100 for quality is cheap compared to $59 for crap. I think I'll send it to Ryan Alden, that's what I should have done to start with but I didn't want to bother Ryan with a low end stem replacement.

MCJ

Can't Leave
May 22, 2022
NW Connecticut
I'm also interested to hear any recommendations for highest quality stem replacement (specifically for two 1920's-era Patent Dunhills I own). @georged is generally recognized as the about the best there is, but he told me he is tremendously backed up and recommended I first see if I could find someone else (although he did tell me to circle back with him again in a few months and let him know if I had no luck). Price and waiting time are secondary to me on these two pipes; best quality, period-correct stem work is the priority...

greeneyes

Lifer
Jun 5, 2018
Jesus. Thanks for posting this. I've been searching for a place to do a simple tenon replacement and keep getting "red flags". The last person I emailed seemed to want to replace the whole stem rather than the tenon. The guy before that kept my pipes for six months and kept blowing me off.

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
I'm also interested to hear any recommendations for highest quality stem replacement (specifically for two 1920's-era Patent Dunhills I own). @georged is generally recognized as the about the best there is, but he told me he is tremendously backed up and recommended I first see if I could find someone else (although he did tell me to circle back with him again in a few months and let him know if I had no luck). Price and waiting time are secondary to me on these two pipes; best quality, period-correct stem work is the priority...
Our needs are different. I'd wait on George were I you.

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
Unfortunately my one experience with Briarville was also extremely disappointing...don't plan on going that route again.

In a nutshell, I sent a new morta pipe for a replacement stem. When I received the invoice it included charges for shank repair with nickel band. When I inquired what this was about I was informed a hairline crack was discovered in the shank so they just went ahead and repaired it with nickel band.

It's possible this crack was there to begin with if it was tiny enough and I didn't notice it...I have no way of knowing for sure...so I'm not assuming they caused it. But regardless, the obvious way this should have been handled would have been to inform me before repairing it, along with pics, and discuss what I wanted done.

In addition, I had requested the replacement stem to be a close match in color to the original and what I received wasn't even in the same ballpark. They did deduct part of the charges, so that helped a bit...but the money wasn't an issue.

craig61a

Lifer
Apr 29, 2017
Minnesota USA
Unfortunately my one experience with Briarville was also extremely disappointing...don't plan on going that route again.

In a nutshell, I sent a new morta pipe for a replacement stem. When I received the invoice it included charges for shank repair with nickel band. When I inquired what this was about I was informed a hairline crack was discovered in the shank so they just went ahead and repaired it with nickel band.

It's possible this crack was there to begin with if it was tiny enough and I didn't notice it...I have no way of knowing for sure...so I'm not assuming they caused it. But regardless, the obvious way this should have been handled would have been to inform me before repairing it, along with pics, and discuss what I wanted done.

In addition, I had requested the replacement stem to be a close match in color to the original and what I received wasn't even in the same ballpark. They did deduct part of the charges, so that helped a bit...but the money wasn't an issue.

kcghost

Lifer
May 6, 2011
Olathe, Kansas
Georged is not really pursuing any pipe repair unless you are already a customer of his. But, hell you never know. Just as bad under the Pipe Repair and Maintenance there is sticky for pipe refurbers and repair guys but it has had a terrible reponse so far. Only six guys so far.
You can try Mark Tinsky. He makes very good stems at very reasonable prices.

Reactions: sablebrush52
Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
The best stem guy in the business is without a doubt, @georged , then there's Tim West, American, Lewis, that is if you're looking for experienced quality work. Otherwise there are cheap stumblebums that are popular here because they're cheap.
I'm looking for quality work. My bad, I assumed matching or beating the quality of the existing stem would be a given since Meer stems aren't that great to begin with. Never did I imagine he'd screw it up this badly.

Thanks for the recommendations Jesse.

craig61a

Lifer
Apr 29, 2017
Minnesota USA
I have a Seiko Diver’s watch I got while I was in the service back in 1970’s. It stopped working reliably and needed to be cleaned/repaired. I looked around for recommendations and was pointed to Jack Alexyon who is the go to guy for that type of work. It was a little pricey and took about a year to get to, but it was done right. I’ve only worn the thing a handful of times in the last ten years.

Reactions: AroEnglish and MCJ

Ahi Ka

Lurker
Feb 25, 2020
Aotearoa (New Zealand)
That is still my definite preference, although George didn't technically commit to accept my work in the future if at all. If he does say he'll do it (whenever that is), I'm willing to wait however long it takes... ;)
If you’re willing to play Russian roulette with the postal service, perhaps Geoff at Cambridge pipe repairs.

Status
Not open for further replies.