PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

philairfoil

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 24, 2017
I must be the outlier here...If my pipe doesn't sit, I must acquit. I look for sitters, but if I buy one that doesn't I make it so. I would guess at least a dozen so far. A couple Charatons, a Tilshead and a Barlings Make come to mind.
A absolutely flat surface and lie a piece of 200 grit wet or dry sandpaper and run the pipe over with a steady hand to get it started, then up thru the grits to around 1000 or so...the final smoothing I use six sided nail file of a thing I got at the beauty isle at the drug store, with varying grits...you know, to do womens nails.
To stain...I have used everything from shoe dye to magic markers to match the old. Seldom do I get it perfect, but good enough and after a while it blends in so only I would notice. The grain I sometimes accentuate with a darker color, but if it doesn't look good enough, some alcohol wipes the stain off, and try again.
A few coats of wax and done...Your reddish pipe wouldn't be hard to match, a bit of red then some dark brown or black on top.
What's the worst that could happen? Your not gonna sand much off that one, just smooth the blast a bit, I doubt anyone would notice...but you.
But I didn't tell you to do it, wasn't me, no sir.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I still like the single-pipe stand idea, and you can use it for any non-sitter. With or without capri pants.

techie

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 20, 2018
Well, being a sitter, I expected it to sit. It isn't something I deeply care about. Lol
But that's why I asked for suggestions/opinions. I'm just going to leave it be. Probably get a one-pipe stand for it.

panamacharlie

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 13, 2016
There are many pipes that are only partially rusticated. A quick pass on a belt or disk sander won't hurt a thing, just wax the new bottom, you'll he happier.

pipesticks

Can't Leave
Jun 29, 2016
Chicago
I'd leave it and live with it as is, but it's probably just a wonky high point or two in the rustication.

Chalk a flat porous surface, like a piece of unfinished wood, then drag the bottom over it to find the high spots. It may just be a simple matter of knocking down a peak or two.

Status
Not open for further replies.