PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

shawn622

Lifer
Jul 22, 2012
Mount Sterling, Ohio
I just got 2 samples today from G&H and/of SG. I got Saint James Flake, Which I loved, and Rum Flake, which I hated. I don't like scented or aromatic tobacco for the most part. I really like Kendal Plug a lot though...

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
Shawn, welcome to the club. You know I smoke flakes exclusively and now you know why. You have the bowl size down, smaller for flake, bigger for latakia and ribbon cuts. I don't ever see myself going back to English blends, but I have saved some just in case. I know you are on a budget so cellaring your English may not be feasible. I am with you on the St James Flake, wonderful stuff, just make sure you dry that sucker for a while, it has a ton of moisture in it like all SG products.

mrenglish

Lifer
Dec 25, 2010
Columbus, Ohio
Hey, St. James Flake sucks, you guys should not be smoking that. :twisted:
I am in the same boat as you guys though I prefer a group 4-5 pipe so its been flakes and plugs as of late though I even prefer my English blends in smaller pipes.
My cellar is mostly English though as that is what I was smoking for many years. It was getting 250g of FVF Plug from a friend of mine that pulled me back into the VA's. I think I have smoked maybe half a dozen bowls of English this past year and a half.
For the cellar, I would purchase an extra tin or so when I placed an order when I had some extra scratch. Did this for years and it adds up. The trick is to not smoke them so I kept them out of sight.

shawn622

Lifer
Jul 22, 2012
Mount Sterling, Ohio
How great is that... Two of my biggest pipe mentors commenting on the same thread to me. I'm honored. lol I am liking the smaller bowls too guys. I smoked a big bowl of English Oriental before bed and it was nice, just too much. I think when I first started It was about grandiosity. How much smoke can I get in a sitting, and I puffed away. I think that's what drew me to English blends, I could smoke away and my mouth wasn't in shambles. I would smoke a big bowl in 45 min where now I smoke a small bowl in about an hour to an hour and a half. I put it down a few times when the bowl gets hot. Keeps me from tearing my mouth up and sets a pace for the day. I am very hyper by nature. Somehow, smoking a pipe has slowed me down. My grandpa was right about pipe smokers. We are a very relaxed lot. I just never thought it could be the pipe that slowed me down. Interesting.

will

Might Stick Around
Jul 8, 2012
I too am going though a flake phase.

An English blend or a bowl of CH still makes their way into the rotation but for almost a month now the majority of smokes are flakes, plugs, or ropes.

There is a meditative, calming effect that I feel when prepping my baccy when in this form.

Plus the choice and flavors to be had are outstanding.

shawn622

Lifer
Jul 22, 2012
Mount Sterling, Ohio
You call it meditative, I never thought of that but it applies. I call it ritual. Yes, there is a nice selection. When I start buying again I am going for flake only...

Status
Not open for further replies.