PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

bluegrassbrian

Your Mom's Favorite Pipe Smoker
Aug 27, 2016
Louisville
Was browsing through the available pipes at Alpascia.com (nice inventory!).. spied quite a few id be happy to own.
The prices though.. every item lists a USD price and a substantially lower "tax free" price. Does anyone have input on that?

fitzy

Lifer
Nov 13, 2012
NY
Yup no VAT needed. It's amazing how much cheaper their Dunhills are than here in the states.
It's insane how high the taxes are in those countries. I think in France it's 20% vat.

bluegrassbrian

Your Mom's Favorite Pipe Smoker
Aug 27, 2016
Louisville
Yeah I was delighted by a lot of the prices..pipes by makers I like a lot fall $40- $80 cheaper than most domestic retailers.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Al Pascia service is really unparalleled.
His prices are some of the best in the industry. You will receive and bill for an import tax a few weeks after Delivery from Fed-Ex (their shipper). It's usually around $18-$20 for a $300 pipe. I forget the exact name of that bill.

snowyowl

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 21, 2015
Just bought two pipes on a Saturday and they arrived the next Tuesday morning in NYS, from Milan Italy.
Their FedEx shipping is 10 Euros, no matter what you buy. That's $11USD... and change.
If you're not around to sign for it, without even a FedEx account, use their website to pick a location near you and they'll hold it, call/txt you. You can drop in and pick up your gift wrapped shipment... your Ford will feel like a Lincoln.

Oct 7, 2016
Separate bill from Fed Ex was charged directly to my card. Just took a day or two. (Though it didn't specify fed ex as I recall, though I was expecting it and knew what it was for) This was for customs duty, which should, if they know what they are doing, work out to around 3%. $18-20 for a $300 pipe sounds high. All of this is much easier than it used to be. Back in the 90's, it took me two weeks to get a shipment of used pipes released from customs. They had no idea what to charge for smoked pipes. I finally got them to agree to just charge the duty for new pipes.

Status
Not open for further replies.