PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
Though I would err on the side of needy, Akooshah strikes me as valuing his freedom most of all. I've attempted conversation with him some six times, and not once did he say anything about needing housing and regular meals, though he has been thankful about the food I've given him and hangs out around grocery stores. He's probably psychotic but the language barrier prevents him speaking such that hard enough to say that that is so. For whatever reason he is minimally intelligible, and I think this works for him since the social skills to engage beyond that are not his, and he can get along mumbling and being sweet.
You don't often hear the homeless saying "love love love."

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
brian64: Can't say the thread has benefited from your sardonic comments. Best wishes to post elsewhere if this thread isn't for you.

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
Sorry Salt...just trying to be funny.
Actually I had a serious comment I was going to make but decided not to because I don't think it would be well received either.
I'll just say I think it's good you're giving him some food.
Carry on...I'll bow out now.

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
No worries. My humor is oblique, and pairing it with writing that has minimal affect has too often been lost on its audience. If I'm going to be oblique but mean to be humorous, I often end the "joke" with ".

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
People who live alone outdoors for years on end ... sounds like the people who settled the Western U.S.

ashdigger

Lifer
Jul 30, 2016
Vegas Baby!!!
It's one thing to be homeless, it's entirely another to burn someone out of a home because your warning/cooking fire got out of control.
I've been to way too many fires started by "innocent" "nice" homeless people.
It's always the nice "do-gooder" that gets burned out, stabbed or hurt.
Remember, homeless people have NOTHING to lose.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
In my experience each "camp" has a rigid hierarchy. A resident didn't just "move in". There is always a leader of sorts who runs the place, determines who resides and who can't and, however loosely, controls the activities of the others, usually extorting some sort of payment or fidelity.
Certain homeless, either by choice or not, live an extremely individual life and are never denizens of camps.
ashdigger: I have to take issue with "Remember, homeless people have NOTHING to lose." For what it is worth, many have "priceless" personal possessions, a photo, a pet, books, perhaps an iPod, shopping cart, or some such, even a dignity of sorts, which the loss of would be devastating. Stabbings, shootings and beatings are often caused by an invasion of personal space or the theft of something dear. So, many do have "something" dear to lose.

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
Tis discussion has been such a wake-up call. I had no idea who I was dealing with.
The one-back encounter with him was about three weeks ago when he had temporarily put his gear down on the lawn across the street and was stretched out with his back resting against it. I gave him a chili gift, and after talking to him for awhile went home. . .which means that he probably knows where i live. After this discussion I'm keeping an eye open for him around when I go in and out and am parking behind the house.

ashdigger

Lifer
Jul 30, 2016
Vegas Baby!!!
Warren, oh very true. My "nothing to lose" comment was about the structure they were squatting in or against.
As for organization.... I recently worked a fire in a 2-story building. It had a "mayor", a cooking area, the sleeping was segregated and they had a rotating guard system.
The fire was the result of an individual violating the "house rules" and being evicted. He came back two days later and burned the place. Killing two of the squatters.

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
ashdigger, seemed like you were a firefighter. Yeah, if you get evicted, burn the place down and take a few of your fellows out at the same time:-(.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
Sifting ashes, reading char patterns, following the flames ... it's an art form as well as a science. Been there, done that for a handful of investigations assisting in homicide by arson investigations. It always amazes me how a fire can be tracked. Good on you "ashdigger!"

Status
Not open for further replies.