PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

kenoshakid

Might Stick Around
Feb 27, 2013
Recently I got interested in aging, and I was wondering whether it makes a difference to keep the tobacco in unopened tins or to jar it. So, what's your preference, and why?

cavendish

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 22, 2013
Mason jar all the way. glass is non porous, and the lids seal airtight.

Apr 26, 2012
Washington State
I use mason jars for my bulk blends, and the tobacco I have in tins I have just left in there tins. I haven't been cellaring tobacco for very long so I can't say which is better, but from what most have said in the past jars are the way to go.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
If a blend is available in both tins and bulk, I think the tins are more convenient; and they don't cost much more

when you factor in the cost of the jar. Mason jars, however, are an indispensable part of the overall strategy if

you want to store opened tins and, of course, bulk.

Wellington

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 31, 2012
I know I've asked before, I'd rather not make a whole thread on it, but after a tin is opened and you seal it in a mason jar (and stored in a cool or dark place) about how long could it last? I know a sealed tin unopened can last, well decades if stored right. How about after opening sealed in a mason jar? (sorry if i'm hijacking)

rmbittner

Lifer
Dec 12, 2012
I cellar all of my tobacco in its original tins (or, in the case of Esoterica, its original Mylar bags). But I never buy bulk tobacco, so for me it's kind of a moot question.
Bob

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
If a blend is available in both tins and bulk, I think the tins are more convenient; and they don't cost much more when you factor in the cost of the jar. Mason jars, however, are an indispensable part of the overall strategy if you want to store opened tins and, of course, bulk.
This really sums it up. If you are buying tins, and you intend to cellar that tobacco for a number of years without opening it, why open the tin to transfer it to a jar?

Status
Not open for further replies.