PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

ohin3

Lifer
Jun 2, 2010
It has come to light, after much research, that I very much enjoy both 1Q and corn cob pipes. 1Q is no earth shattering tobacco to be contemplated or anyting, but it is extremely easy to smoke, soft, sweet, smells good and smoulders at a very nice rate. And, it has that nostalgic grandpa's pipe smell to it that takes me back to childhood. This is my first corn cob as well and I must say I am enjoying it. mostly because I love the softness of the stem, the light weight of the pipe and the poker shape. I feel the need to acquire a briar poker now.

jcsoldit

Lifer
Mar 27, 2010
Wisconsin
I get it… 1Q is like comfort food to many of us. Let me channel my inner Jimmy Buffet… 1Q is like a “Cheeseburger in Paradise” with an ice cold bottle of beer. :lol:
A cob is kind of like that old pair of jeans that feel better than they look, but we don’t care because they look great with our favorite t-shirt and a pair of flip-flops… yeah I get it! 8)

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
Hi Phil. I think 1Q is pretty good too. It satisfies the occasional taste for an aromatic without sacrificing tobacco flavor. It also does quite well with some BCA mixed in.
As for the cob... :crazy:

I don't know which is worse, the chintzy plastic stem or the off-tasting corny pith.

Oh well, I'm notorious around here for smoking P.A., which some folks think is a waste of good matches. :lol:

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
I finally sprung for 2 MM cobs and really enjoy them. I'm surprised on how cool the smoke. Will be adding more soon. Lotta bang for the buck.

forsooth

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 18, 2011
Roger on the 1Q -- pipe tobacco's "common denominator."
As for the cob, I'm way too busy spending way too much money on way too many Petersons.

hilojohnny

Lifer
Oct 2, 2010
I keep coming back to 1Q as an important member of my regular rotation....along with BCA, RLP-6, Dansk Gold....I think it's very hard to beat these tobaccos for price and great smoking comfort.... :clap:

rocky

Lurker
Mar 17, 2011
I agree, 1Q is like a cold can of Coors after work, or sitting down in front of the Television to just unwind - it may not be the most complex or intellectual thing to do but it's consistent and enjoyable.
I first bought 1Q when trying out new blends, and I'm glad I did.
I've read disparaging reviews of 1Q. I have a theory of what spawns the snob attitude, while not accounting for personal preference .
I believe that when something is widely available, enjoyed by many, and does not require expertise to consume there will be people who find that by disparaging the item they can easily appear sophisticated.
So, by writing or saying that 1Q is garbage, and again not accounting for personal preference, the writer or speaker can give off an appearance of easily obtained sophistication.
It's something I see people do with beer all the time. I'll be drinking a can of Coors, or whatever American lager is at hand, and I'll inevitably have a beer snob come up to me and say "oh, how can you drink that swill? I only drink micro-brews." I believe that in their minds they've reached a sense of informed sophisticated superiority over me.
It'll be funny though if some young hipster dudes start smoking 1Q out of cobs for the ironic appeal of it.
I like it and I'm going to smoke it.
-rocky

marmal4de

Lifer
Feb 20, 2011
Richmond, BC
As for the cob, I'm way too busy spending way too much money on way too many Petersons.

I am in the same boat, each time I have some extra cash at the B&M I think about a cob, then I wake up and get more pipe cleaners instead. Cobs have zero appeal to me.

marmal4de

Lifer
Feb 20, 2011
Richmond, BC

I am in the same boat, each time I have some extra cash at the B&M I think about a cob, then I wake up and get more pipe cleaners instead. Cobs have zero appeal to me.
Edit: I don't know how I double posted, sorry.

forsooth

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 18, 2011
Upon occasion, I will sit by my tower window with a Peterson filled with 1-Q and observe the little people working their crops. In this way, I am momentarily "at one" with the masses. It's the least I can do.

collindow

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 15, 2010
Portland, OR
A good can of Coors after work? Gah. I drink Widmer Drop Top and Heineken. Most of the can beers, like Coors, are just too watery.

Of course, I also brew my own beer. THAT'S the best way to top off a long day. So much satisfaction!

@Rocky-That wouldn't be funny, that'd be terrible! I'd end up punching some thick-rimmed, ironic goon's face in and go to prison!

Edit: Forgot to say my bit about cobs!

I have one. I don't really like it...if we are calling cobs comfy jeans I guess I happily wear a suit everyday!

rocky

Lurker
Mar 17, 2011
Collin,
There's something comforting about consistency, whether that's consistently bad or consistently good, is something best left to personal choice and preference.
I've found that are somethings which require little concentration and fuss - I believe Coors beer and 1Q pipe tobacco to be two examples.
When I want to relax and stare off into space and not have to worry about something fussy or complex an ice cold can of Coors and/or a pipe full of 1Q fits the bill quite nicely.
Then at other times when attention and complexity are the order of the day - Coors and 1Q may not be the first thing my hand reaches for.
-Rocky

forsooth

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 18, 2011
I think this sums some of this up:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=snhiofL2Rh4

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
To me, most aromatics have a plastic taste, or maybe some other adjective applies

-- but it ain't true tobacco flavor. It's beyond me why anybody smokes them,

or drinks diet cola for that matter. Maybe there's a common phenomenon that accounts

for the ability to tolerate, or be indifferent to, the vile aftertaste of both.
Of course, I'm mindful of the fact that nearly every tobacco we'll ever smoke has been

flavored or amended in some way; but it's still easy to separate the aro's from the

so-called naturals.

rocky

Lurker
Mar 17, 2011
forsooth,
I was totally thinking of posting that, but then got distracted. Nice!

strongirish

Can't Leave
Aug 20, 2010
Lake Conroe, TX
Aros are the number one selling tobaccos in the world, Captain Blsck White being the top seller. So knocking aro smokers is knocking the majority. There is a blend for everyone out there, I like all pipe tobaccos and I would never fault a man smoking what he finds enjoyable for him. I believe in smoking what you like and liking what you smoke.

julesholling

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 19, 2011
Sutton, Surrey
Here, here Strongirish.
I enjoy aromatics and love my cob, but i also enjoy diet coke sometimes too. Actually like the taste more than 'full fat' coke. Everyone has different tastes and as long as their enjoying it what's the problem?
Variety is the spice of life and as long as you like it and aren't hurting anyone, what's the problem.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
Strongirish said
So knocking aro smokers is knocking the majority.

You use the term "majority". A tobacco snob would say "hoi polloi".

To me the distinction between aro's and so-called naturals is like that between Kool Aid and real fruit juice.

That said, it just doesn't make sense to knock someone for drinking Kool Aid if it tastes good to them.

If it sounded like I disparaged aro smokers, I didn't mean that. You see, increasingly, I'm becoming one myself;

but I have to avoid the "cardboard-soaked-with-chemicals" types.

Status
Not open for further replies.