PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

zack24

Lifer
May 11, 2013
Finally carving pipes again...I carved quite a few pipes back in the 80's when I owned a woodcarving shop in Opryland in Nashville, Tn. The park closed and was torn down for a shopping mall, I moved on and got a real job to support the family. For 30 years, I've been lugging a box of briar I never used all over the country. A couple of weeks ago, finally started carving again...Afraid it's already moved into a full blown obsession- bought a metal lathe, have a bag of Calabrian Plateaux Briar arriving next week and some German ebonite. Thought I'd share my latest effort (yep- I know it's a crappy 80's style freehand stem- will be fixing that with a proper hand shaped stem when the Ebonite arrives next week)

zack24

Lifer
May 11, 2013
Thanks! It's good for the soul....Now if I could only figure out how to delete the other post I accidentally put up...:)

hogfoot

Lurker
May 10, 2013
...if I had not just emptied my wallet to get my first meerschaum, I'd ask if it was for sale and what you would charge... That pipe struck a nerve!
Sterling work!

pruss

Lifer
Feb 6, 2013
Mytown
I love that horn, if it's a sign of things to come, we're all in for a treat.
Welcome back, and welcome to the PM forums Zack.
-- Pat

zack24

Lifer
May 11, 2013
After I burned through about $5k in the checking account in the past two weeks on tooling, briar, and all the other stuff you need, my wife didn't ask "if" I was going to sell my pipes, but "when"... :) Seriously though- if the work is up to standard by the fall, I hope to make some of the shows next year.

zack24

Lifer
May 11, 2013
That would be a good one. I don't think I'll have any problem getting my wife to sign on for that one....

keith929

Lifer
Nov 23, 2010
Zack that is a magnificent pipe. Glad you are back in the fold. I can hardly wait to see more examples of your work.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
You may not have been working on carving pipes for the last 30 years, but your brain was. Get busy and

see what all it's stored up to make. It should be an adventure!

zack24

Lifer
May 11, 2013
Talk about frustrating! My Italian brair supplier hustled to get my order shipped on Monday- just in time for the shipping company to take delivery and their workers to go on strike. The bad news is that a couple of thousand bucks of my briar is being held hostage until the strike is over. The good news is that when the strike is over and they dig my shipment out and deliver it in three or four years, it will be nicely aged...

brdavidson

Lifer
Dec 30, 2012
That's a beautiful pipe Zack! Welcome to the forum, and happy to see you following your passion.

zack24

Lifer
May 11, 2013
Just finished another one this morning with a little help from my wife Greta...
28wfkus.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.