PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

andystewart

Lifer
Jan 21, 2014
I clench pretty much all the time I have a pipe lit and they're all straight pipes - to my mind it's all in the balance and stem. I have a couple of Stanwell featherweights and they're superb pipes; light, strong, a decent-sized bowl (I'm English so probably more used to Euro styles), smart and very easy to maintain. I also go for cobs as the stems have sufficient give to get a comfortable grip; the replacement stems are cheap and readily available.
Andy

sallow

Lifer
Jun 30, 2013
Clencher here. I only have small pipes. Stanwell, Beo, Peterson.

rotation-600x448.jpg

mrenglish

Lifer
Dec 25, 2010
Columbus, Ohio
Try to get a wide bit as well. Narrow bits like you see on some smaller pipes are harder to clench. Balance is also important as you can typically clench heavier pipes if its balanced right.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
A bent pipe will have less leverage against your teeth, so whatever its size, it will feel lighter weight. Small pipes,

bent or straight, are easier to clench. (Some people aren't that sensitive to weight against their teeth. Brad just

wants plenty of bowl; it's his trademark.) Very small pipes are natural clenchers, and with flake tobacco you can

still get a good length smoke. Some of my good clenchers include: Peterson Rhodesian 999 (mine's a Killarney, but

they come in different series; BC bent billiard 1304 in various series; Dr. Grabow Royalton bulldog and many other

Grabows; many Stanwells including the Ivarsson shape 86 pot and the bulldog shape 32. Most of the Ewa line, at

Iwan Ries, are small and good clenchers. The Peterson Belgique is a Group 1 (small) and clenches well.

frank13

Can't Leave
Oct 5, 2014
Bakersfield, CA
I have a straight Grabow pipe that I love to clench. I don't do much of it with any of my other pipes, though. (Although nearly all of pipes are straight.)

Status
Not open for further replies.