PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
You read correctly. I think those are false goals. What makes sense is as Plato said, "good to the good, and bad to the bad."
But that's a bit more complex. Takes a longer attention span. Requires a bit more experience of life. So it's not as widely mentioned.

davet

Lifer
May 9, 2015
Estey's Bridge N.B Canada
4956fda5e617b78f504b0539a4553b8727f567cf333aef92f1386e5c1892e8fc.jpg

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
We've been through the whole "price gouging" bit, and most agreed it was the raising of prices for necessities, often in the wake of a natural or unnatural disaster. So, charging what the market will bear for luxuries isn't that. A lot of other things, but not price gouging.

tslex

Lifer
Jun 23, 2011
deathmetal, what does such a stance even mean? ". . . I do not support freedom, liberty, etc."
Seriously. What does that mean? That you favor tyranny and subjugation? (And if so, by whom, of whom?)
If you do not favor human beings having autonomy and self-direction -- the fruits of liberty -- then whom do you propose ought to have control? Some other human? selected how?
Unless you mean that men -- even free men -- should subject themselves to the Lord, then please can you tell me what you do mean?
Outside of the Little Red Book, I have not seen anyone frankly disclaim the very notions of liberty and freedom. (And even there. Mao paid lip service to a variety of democracy, limited to the party.)
Seriously, man, what in hell are you on about?

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Very interesting thread that weaves several useful themes. It is suggested by some that capitalism would be improved by an enlightened approach, one that takes into consideration the condition of others. Capitalism with a heart. Others maintain that such considerations are beside the point. Capitalism as a balance sheet. Personally I believe that both points of view have their place.

Tobacco is a luxury, not a necessity. If people want to buy up Penzance to scalp others, one can bemoan the practice. But it's also not necessary to pay those prices. One can spend time calling B&Ms to find it, trade for it, or find something else to enjoy. Penzance goes for high prices because enough people are willing to pay those high prices.
P. T. Barnum could have been as easily evoked for this thread as Adam Smith.

jackswilling

Lifer
Feb 15, 2015
Someone asked for more guns earlier in this thread or the $4,000 pipe thread. The exact thing is happening to .22 LR ammunition. The "gougers" line up the day of delivery and buy it all and sell it at gun shows for 3xs what they paid. You cannot find a plated HP 22 LR unless you are willing to wait in line, I have better things to do, or pay the price. It is what it is, and it may be frustrating, but I believe in markets and capitalism. Let me come out of the closet, I will pay $100 for 8oz of Penzance. There, I said it. I have enough now that I have moved on and I am now cornering the market on Cooper.

tslex

Lifer
Jun 23, 2011
sablebrush wrote:
If people want to buy up Penzance to scalp others, one can bemoan the practice. But it's also not necessary to pay those prices.
... and indeed, I have taken great joy in this thread in doing both. :)
He also wrote:
P. T. Barnum could have been as easily evoked for this thread as Adam Smith.
. . . and indeed, Barnum has never gotten his due as economic theorist.

jackswilling

Lifer
Feb 15, 2015
If you know anything about Barnum, had he been on this forum, he would be at $250 for 8 ounces of Penzance. He gouged as much as he could, with no shame about it. Interesting guy.

peteguy

Lifer
Jan 19, 2012
I almost brought up the ammunition example as well. I am sure there are many other examples, like the vinyl records one, where rarity and demand bring about debates. Years and years ago I knew a guy that paid like 1k for a snake because "they are so hard to get in the US". Who knows, maybe now they are $10. :)

shanelktown

Lifer
Feb 10, 2015
Interesting to see this topic of penzance and price gouging.... I think many times people see a price they are willing to pay for the stuff and that's pretty much end of story. I think the market and the limited supply being reason enough to buy at higher prices, but even then there is a limit of what price is reasonable. I feel for pricing pipestud does a nice job of a reasonable area on blends that are A hard to find B no longer in production. I think when blends reach that point if no longer produced the sky tends to be the limit on the price. Now for the esoterica blends it's more of hey you can spend 50 plus more on this bag and it's yours compared to lucking in to finding a bag at msrp, but do you really want to take that chance? It's just a matter of time before a new blend comes a long and penzance will be distant memory.

Status
Not open for further replies.