PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

ejames

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
A while back Rod contacted me to see if I'd like to have a Medico ventilator to make another tamper from. Once I got the pipe and took a good look at it I decided it was just to nice to cut up and make a tamper from. So I decided to refinish it.Thanks Rod!

ventilator-from-rod-2012-02-22-001-1280x960-600x450.jpg

rods-medico-ventilator-2012-03-13-001-1280x960-600x450.jpg

rods-medico-ventilator-2012-03-13-003-1280x960-600x450.jpg

spyder71

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 14, 2011
Very nice! I have an old Vent bull dog, maybe I should dig it out shine it up.

ejames

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
I've had 4-5 of the Ventilators and found them to be good smokers. Have another down in the shop,a "full bent". Can't decide if I want to restore it or make a tamper from it.It's the only bent one I've had.

lifeon2

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 19, 2012
denver co
I have that exact ventilator. I think they are neat looking pipes and they really do smoke well. Dont suppose you have a shot of the full bent I have another straight I could trade you if you decide to go the tamper route. If not I'd still be interested in seeing a bent vent.

ejames

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
Thanks Gents! Rick,the bent Ventilator has a problem I haven't figured out how to fix. The pipe is one of those that has never seen a pipe cleaner and the airway is clogged. Normally not a problem, but with the way this is constructed I can't get a drill through.Like a lot of bent pipes the airway is not drilled at the same angle the mortise was drilled at,and the mortise is at the end of that aluminum "shank" and I can't get the bit into the airway. Tried going through the bowl--got part way. If I can't get it cleared it may become a tamper!

mluyckx

Lifer
Dec 5, 2011
Texas
They really look cool and the way you cleaned looks, it looks like new. Excellent job and you're making me want to get one just because ;-)
On the bent one, try taking apart a coat hanger and pushing slowly. I had one estate that had a serious clog and I found the diameter of a laundromat wire hanger to be the right diameter. Plus it bends. I was able to slowly drip alcohol in it, push from either side until the clog loosened up enough and it came out. Nasty ! But it worked.
Good luck

ejames

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
Thanks Mick! Actually a piece of coat hanger is what I've been using to try and clear the airway in that bent. Even with that I can't get a clear shot at the airway. Think I will fill the bowl with alcohol and let it set a while,hopefully that will soften the clog up some.

spartan

Lifer
Aug 14, 2011
Would someone mind briefly and simply explaining what the "ventalator" modification does?
I can guess, but I'd rather be told.

ejames

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
Would someone mind briefly and simply explaining what the "ventalator" modification does?
It does very little--if anything. Basically a gimmick. The holes are supposed to make it look as is there is a cooling,ventilating thing going on as it is smoked. The thing is these pipes cannot be smoke WITHOUT a filter. I doubt that the smoke is cooled much as it is drawn through the filter.
Rick,I do have a 6" long 5/32" bit.The problem is that the airway is actually above the mortise and at an angle to it.If I try to drill it I'll just end up with a new airway--below the original!

I played with it again and did manage to get my coat hanger through it.

ace57

Lifer
Jun 21, 2011
Ejames You did a fine job on My old pipe, looks like new and that old bent one I know how to open it up. I had one that was plugged so I took a hunk of the inside of a speedometer cable and put it in a drill, worked like a dream had it open in about 30 sec.

ejames

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
Thanks Rod! I'll have to remember that speedo cable trick,gotta find a cable though! Don't have any old car parts laying around anymore.

ejames

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
Well now,the grandkids do have a half dozen bikes laying this place!! :twisted:

Status
Not open for further replies.