PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jonesing

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 11, 2010
Hee hee Bob.
I saw it in your review today.
It's a fine word and quite descriptive. But on TR some people don't seem to be able to even write an aro review without using the word.
And I agree Shannon TR is a good way to learn and make educated decisions about what you buy and try.
I love the site. In fact I'm a TR junkie. Still amusing though.

admin

Smoking a Pipe Right Now
Staff member
Nov 16, 2008
St. Petersburg, FL
pipesmagazine.com
The word cloying is also used in wine reviews. That is where I learned it, from the guy that wrote the articles in our wine section here. Then I forgot it and re-learned it from Bob.
Yes, while it has been entertaining to make fun of TR.com, and many of the comments and observations are true, they really are a great resource site, and I check them out too.
When I am doing a review here, I write the review first without looking at anyone else's review so I am not influenced. When I finish my review, then I go over there to see what others wrote.

sapo59

Can't Leave
Dec 29, 2009
Ha!! I been away to long. You guys crack me up. It's all true though. I do the same Kevin, I never read about a blend on TR.com until I smoke it first.

hauntedmyst

Lifer
Feb 1, 2010
Chicago
I have to admit to being at a loss for ever relating to a burning tobacco as sweet. Full, rich, bitter, smokey, peppery, floral, soapy, spicy, light, creamy, foul - these are all words I've used to describe tobaccos but never sweet. What tobaccos do you guys think are really sweet?

jonesing

Feb 11, 2010
Strangely enough I find latakia sweet.
VA is in theory the seetest with the highest sugar content typically. But VA is more earthy or maybe sweet sour fruity or something.
I've figured out though that latakia just hits my sweet spot and I fear I may be a full on latakia head in the making. In my English blend smoke off the less latakia the less I really taste what I'm after.
I'm weird this way I think. I don't taste smoky with latakia more like toasted marshmallow if I may use a food reference in my own thread teasing TR reviews.
It's consistent with my roll your own tastes. When I smoke a cigarette it's almost always a halfzware which is fire cured Kentucky with VA (about half and half thus Halfzware) and the fire cured tastes sweet rather than smoky to me.

jonesing

Feb 11, 2010
Hell I dunno Fur. I just smoke the stuff and either like it or don't.
I thought this pretty funny though.....
I had a bowl of PS Proper English for breakfast and it honest to goodness burned down to the bottom of the bowl and produced "fine gray ash"! And no relights! I swear on my mothers eyes.
Maybe I should make fun of people who win the lottery next.

petersonsman

Lurker
Jul 6, 2009
Tobacco reviews helped me out quite a bit when i first started experimenting with different tobaccos. I started trying only blends with 4 stars, then three, at that point i was pretty confidant in what types i would enjoy. Now I mostly get enjoyment out of reading other peoples thoughts on blends.

classicgeek

Apr 8, 2010
I've read a lot of reviews on TR, mostly out of curiosity. On the McCl ketchup question, when I opened my very first tin of McCl tobacco (FMOTT) my wife (who has not been to TR) said it smelled like hickory BBQ sauce. You all must have pretty fancy ketchup.
Simon

juni

Lifer
Mar 9, 2010
TR is great if you are searching for something based on strength, room note or ingredients in a blend.

maduroman

May 15, 2010
funny thing is, i bet alot of those guys writing reviews are a) the same person, or b) never smoked the tobacco they are reviewing...

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
What I could never understand is how some reviewers can be so prolific. Common sense, and the advice of many experienced smokers, dictates that one needs to become really familiar with a blend to fully appreciate it's nuances and subtleties. Although I can have initial impressions and opinions after one smoke, I hardly feel qualified to review and recommend a blend after anything less than a full tin. And in most cases I balk at offering a review after smoking much more. I get the impression many of TR.com's reviewers just smoke a couple of bowls, if that, and dash off whatever comes to mind -- pro or con. Shallow and superficial; but the star ratings do offer some measure of general acceptance.

dunendain

Jul 22, 2009
I never seem to be able to distinguish so many of the different flavors, and changes in flavors as well as most of the reviewers, but the site has helped me pick some winners. One thing I don't like, is that some guys seem to hold grudges against certain brands. I am not digging that. I have been reprimanded for using humor, oh well. Overall I think the site has been a big help to many.

Status
Not open for further replies.