PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

12pups

Lifer
Feb 9, 2014
Minnesota
Mine was a meerschaum that the guy sent in one of those envelopes with the bubble wrap inside. I had taken him to be somewhat experienced. Wrong. I saw the package and cringed. The bowl was mostly intact, except for some big pieces. The stem had been left on, so it shattered the shank. Some big pieces, a stem and a bunch of little white gravel.
Got my money back. Can't get reimbursed for disappointment, anxiety if I'd get my money back or not, and the time wasted.

mcitinner1

Lifer
Apr 5, 2014
Missouri
I was lucky. I received a pipe in a proper Priority Mail box and that's all that was in it, no padding at all. The pipe banged around all bare for 4 days, and it was undamaged. Mostly

snagstangl

Lifer
Jul 1, 2013
Iowa, United States
Got an strait sav. Estella, for $15 shipped. Tennon not broken in pictures. But the padded envelope they sent it in didnt do much and the tennon was broken off . I just super glued the tennon and stem back together with a decent coat of olive oil in the shank to make sure it wont stick and break again.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
A few years ago, author Rick Newcombe had a blog entry on shipping pipes. He advocated not removing the stem, which created quite a dust-up from the various camps. In his defense, he ships internationally a lot, which has a longer transit time. I think it is safer to remove the stem, as you discovered.

Status
Not open for further replies.