PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Mike N

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 3, 2023
I had the pleasure of visiting The Squire Tobacconist in Charleston, WV, an old school pipe shop with a large selection of Savinelli, Peterson, Rattray and Erik Stokkebye Fourth Generation pipes. It’s right off I-77. I picked up two new 4th Gen churchwardens along with a beautiful soft leather 4-pipe travel case. I also bought several tins and house blends by the ounce and spent an hour in their large smoking room. Rick the owner was great and one of the employees went out of his way to make coffee. When I asked if he had any tougher tins put away, Rick gave me these two unopened Gawith Virginia Flakes.

What a hidden gem of a place.

(tap on image to enlarge)

Attachments

• IMG_1530.jpeg
    IMG_1530.jpeg
    178.1 KB · Views: 51
  • IMG_1531.jpeg
    IMG_1531.jpeg
    213.9 KB · Views: 50
  • IMG_1532.jpeg
    IMG_1532.jpeg
    189.1 KB · Views: 54
  • IMG_1533.jpeg
    IMG_1533.jpeg
    219.5 KB · Views: 52
  • IMG_1534.jpeg
    IMG_1534.jpeg
    152.6 KB · Views: 52
  • IMG_1535.jpeg
    IMG_1535.jpeg
    163.6 KB · Views: 49

SmokeBreak

Lurker
Dec 4, 2023
Nice find, Mike! I drive through WV sometimes but haven't come across that shop before. Sounds like a great traditional tobacconist with lots of variety.

I'll have to keep The Squire in mind next time I'm passing through - always nice to support local businesses like that. Did you happen to try any of their house blends while you were there? Always curious what kind of mixes local shopkeepers come up with.

Thanks for sharing about your visit. Hidden gems like this are the best kinds of discoveries.

Mike N

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 3, 2023
Yes, I purchased several 4 and 8 ounce packages of a few house blends (named after WV scenic spots) which Rick recommended after asking my tastes. At least two other customers came in whike I was there and measured out their own packs also (yes, he lets you grab the scoop and do that behind the counter.) The cost was under $4/ounce and there were about 9 English and a dozen aromatic blends available. The second photo above shows the bulk canisters.

Mike N

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 3, 2023
Right on! I love the Erik Stokkebye 4th Gen pipes. I also bought two, shape 402, which is a straight billiard. Erik was a guest on the radio show, and he said that these pipes were actually made by Neerup.
Nice haul, man!
Here are the two Stokkebye 4th Generation chuchwardens and 4-pipe leather case I bought.

It’s my understanding that Peder Jeppesen, who owns Neerup- his mom’s maiden name- has long made Stokkebye’s pipes.

Attachments

• IMG_1548.jpeg
    IMG_1548.jpeg
    176.6 KB · Views: 12