PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
As some of you know, my sister-in-law was diagnosed with a cancerous tumor on her bile duct two years ago. The tumor was inoperable and she went onto a waiting list for a liver transplant. After nearly a year a suitable donor organ became available and Leda underwent the procedure. Actually, she had to have the transplant performed twice as the first one showed problems almost immediately. Throughout the ordeal Leda never lost her sense of humor, nor did she give in to despair. Leda met each challenge squarely. The second surgery was successful and after a long period of recovery Leda returned home. During the entire period from first diagnosis to recovery she wrote about her experiences in a blog entitled Leda And The Swan Song, sharing her feelings with humor, and warmth.
Leda and my brother celebrated her recovery by taking a trip to Paris, where they had first met, 47 years ago, and they revisited the café where they had met. Leda resumed her very active life, enjoying her grandkids, attending plays, seeing friends, engaging in her many pursuits.
Four months ago Leda went in for a check up as she was feeling a bit under the weather, and it was discovered that the cancer had returned and had metastasized. There was no cure, though she could try to prolong her life by undergoing chemotherapy, radiation, and the like. Leda decided that what she wanted was to be able to enjoy what short time was left to her and decided on palliative care. She added a last entry to her blog, A Change Of Plans that began with the words, "Houston, We have a problem." In her final entry, Leda expressed her thankfulness for the time that the surgery had brought her.
One wish that Leda had was to have Thanksgiving, to have her grandkids and her family with her, to share conversation, food, games, all the normal things that we do when we gather, whether she "able to be there, or not". Leda is still with us and the family is gathering from all around the country, to have Thanksgiving at their home in the hills above San Francisco, bringing food, games, and our love for this remarkable woman. I am grateful to be able to do that. I am thankful that Leda is able to have her Thanksgiving.
People come into our lives for any number of reasons. Leda has enriched all who come in contact with her. She is the bravest person I know. She has taught me the essence of grace under pressure, the healing power of humor when faced with adversity, and the importance of being true to oneself. Leda is going out on her own terms, embracing life as she always has.
And so we will celebrate Thanksgiving, and we will celebrate Leda, and there will be laughter, and children, and silly games, and joy and happiness, despite the specter of of imminent death. I am so thankful that we get to do this.
I wish all of you who read this a very Happy Thanksgiving!

crazypipe

Lifer
Sep 23, 2012
I am a man who does cry, but today as I read this my heart was so moved.

What a wonderful lady Leda is.

crazypipe

Lifer
Sep 23, 2012
nyzkev.jpg

shaintiques

Lifer
Jul 13, 2011
Georgia
Thanks for sharing brother, I know exactly how you feel. My Dad has multiple types of cancer and though his chemo is keeping it at bay one just never knows when it will rear its ugly head again and so when I am able to visit I make the most of every second cause you just never know how many you will have. And that experience has caused me to consider just how precious the seconds are with everyone that I love, because tomorrow is uncertain. Hope you have a blessed day. I'll be thinking of you and Leda when I smoke my Thanksgiving desert.

ravkesef

Lifer
Aug 10, 2010
Cheshire, CT
Jesse, thanks so much for sharing Leda's brave story with us. She is a wonderful lady, and you and your family havbe much to be thankful for.

daimyo

Lifer
May 15, 2014
Someone's cutting onions around here. My thoughts are with you and your family, may you all have the best Thanksgiving ever. Thank you for sharing such a personal story and reminding us of what grace and thankfulness look like.

eightywon

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 4, 2014
Thank you Jesse for sharing, and reminding us all about what we all should really be thankful for today.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Just got back from Oakland/SF. Thanksgiving was a totally wonderful experience. My sister flew out from Long Island and she asked that we keep it a surprise for Leda. When Deanna arrived at the house and Leda saw her, Leda burst into tears.
At the end of the day, Leda said to me, "Best Thanksgiving EVER!!"
It doesn't get better than that.

Status
Not open for further replies.