Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
Two Meers, totally different coloring results. The Altinay figural has around 700 bowls through it. No really dark areas, kind of brown all over. The photo doesn't show how brown it is. There are some dark areas creeping in here and there, you can see on the bottom.

Then there's the Basket Weave Altinok that has around 250 bowls and the shank is deep brown. Not much color peeking through the bowl. Both pipes smoke great, the difference in how they've colored is baffling.

IMG_1462.jpeg

IMG_1466.jpeg
IMG_1464.jpeg

IMG_1465.jpeg

yanoJL

Lifer
Oct 21, 2022
Pismo Beach, California
I do not own an Aktinok, so I'm not sure about the construction. But I believe the Altinay pipes I own use a teflon mortise. So, at the risk of sounding completely foolish... I'm wondering if the usual coloring agents (smoke, nicotine, tar/oils, etc) are not coming in contact with meer at the shank on Altinay meers. Hence, less coloration on the shank.

sardonicus87

Lifer
Jun 28, 2022
Lower Alabama
My Hüseyin Ege meer (bent apple shape) is coloring like your Altinok, shank first. However, my bowl is slowly starting to get some color, particularly in the lower half toward the heel.

It has that generic plastic/nylon/derlin/whatever mortise and tenon, same setup seen on a large number of Turkish meer pipes. Definitely a lot of juice gets concentrated in the shank. Makes sense the shank would color first.