PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Buzzard

Lurker
Mar 10, 2024
I am a very old man. I enjoy setting on the porch with a good pipe reminiscing about my life, old friends, long ago love affairs, and other things I don’t know how got into my head. I like a pipe with a bigger bowl. When I’m pipe shopping I’m not interested in anything I can’t put my thumb into the bowl. Some months ago I was looking at pipes on Amazon and found a Savinelli 616 smooth, a huge pipe with a large deep bowl. I ordered it. Great pipe, smokes like a dream and just the right size for my porch setting. The “problem” is its beauty. The graining is magnificent. I found myself constantly looking at it, rubbing and fondling it taking my attention away from my day.dreaming and reflecting. Out of mild desperation I ordered a 616 sandblasted. Problem solved! I can now let my mind wonder without caressing the pipe. The only time I pay attention to the pipe is fire maintenance. The sandblasting ain’t pretty and that’s fine as long it does its job. I’m happy in my own small world.IMG_0091.jpeg

autumnfog

Lifer
Jul 22, 2018
Sweden
I've encountered the same problem: buying a new pipe intended for smoking but finding it to beautiful to put to use.
A few beater pipes is a good idea.

Reactions: Buzzard