PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

edger

Lifer
Dec 9, 2016
Mayer AZ
I finally got one of these and I love it. My question for you knife guys:
When I’m smoking, I like to leave the blade open. Does it stress the “spring” doing this. I think I read somewhere that with folding knives that have a blade at both ends, the “spring” can weaken if both are opened at the same time. Is this the case with a single blade?
Thanks in advance.

Jul 17, 2017
NV
pencilandpipe.home.blog
I finally got one of these and I love it. My question for you knife guys:
When I’m smoking, I like to leave the blade open. Does it stress the “spring” doing this. I think I read somewhere that with folding knives that have a blade at both ends, the “spring” can weaken if both are opened at the same time. Is this the case with a single blade?
Thanks in advance.
Can't really answer the question with any expertise, but looking at mine now, I can't see how leaving the blade open would cause enough stress to be an issue. The only time I see any travel is the spring is when the blade is in the 90° position. Once fully opened the spring returns to the same position it was in when the blade was closed. There doesn't appear to be any significant strain on the spring.
Glad to see you back!

edger

Lifer
Dec 9, 2016
Mayer AZ
I just looked closely at mine and, if anything, the springs seem to be in greater tension when the blade and pick are closed than when they're opened. Not by much, but I can see a difference,

Did you know that the tamper also swings 90 degrees?
Yeah, but I like it straight. I don’t see the point except to tamp the very top of the bowl.

Reactions: mingc
with folding knives that have a blade at both ends, the “spring” can weaken if both are opened at the same time.
With a multi blade knife, most will have two spring leavers, one for each blade. With a well designed pocket knife, when the blade is open or closed, the spring should be relaxed, and when open it is the notch or design of the tang that keeps it locked open. If the spring is flush with the scales, it is not in tension.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Now I'll go looking for this wonderful pipe knife. I have too many pocket knives. I concur, when a blade or other tool is open, the spring is relaxed.

Reactions: Toast and edger
Metal fatigue is a real thing, but in spring steel (stainless or carbon) it is rarely an issue. The amount of tension one would have to put on a piece of spring steel to break it would be 100 fold that which your open blade would put on it. Frankly, a well made knife has nearly the same amount of stored energy on the spring steel with the blade open or closed so it really doesn't matter.

Spring steel is designed to do what it's doing and you have nothing for which to be concerned. Think of all those pickup trucks out there being suspended on leaf springs.