PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

oldreddog

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 4, 2014
I'll be honest I am developing a strange fixation with plug tobacco :)
I have been preparing the tobacco by thinly slicing and rubbing out, with very good results. It seems to me that this is yet another wonderful ritual attached to pipe smoking, and worth the little extra time it takes to prepare.
Last night I decided I would try to slice the plug and fold it rather than rubbing. So I grabbed a plug of Condor and cut a nice fine slice, folded it in half put it in the pipe and tried to light. To no avail, I could get it going just for a few moments but it went quickly out. I did persevere but with no luck.
Is there a particular method for smoking slices in this way?
All pointers will be gratefully received :)

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
That plug of Condor is fairly wet. Cutting a slice and moving it directly to the pipe is, as you discovered, not the best approach. Options would be to let the plug slowly dry out a bit (not my choice, since the plug will set up like a lump of epoxy), or making some slices and letting the slices dry. Alternately, if you have a charcoal grill, you could just drop that plug in with the glowing charcoal and drape your head over the grill for a while. Condor-cured salmon might be interesting, too.

oldreddog

Sep 4, 2014
I think condor would be better suited to bavette de flanchet! But I think I'll stick with your tip and air dry the slices for a while.

andystewart

Lifer
Jan 21, 2014
Air drying the slices works best for me. I try not to rub out as I enjoy slices as they are, but it's not always possible.
Andy

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Shame on me, but I rub out flake and plug, rather than fold. I think I still get most of the benefits since the

leaf retains some of its bulk and burns more slowly than loose tobacco, but it requires fewer relights. Once

that smell of Triple Play hits my nose, I don't want any nonsense.

clarkj734

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 2, 2014
I agree with the above - let the cut flake from the plug dry out a bit. Also, keep in mind the expansion that will occur with an unrubbed slice - be careful not to overpack the pipe, once lit its going to expand quite a bit.
A good way to let it air out is to slice the flake from the plug, and fold it and stuff it into your pipe the night before you intend to smoke it. By the time you are ready to smoke it in the morning it should be just about perfect.
James

K

klause

Condor plug is a very dense, highly compressed plug. Just letting a slice dry isn't going to help much. A 'flake' sliced off the plug is not the same as a standard flake straight from a tin. The latter can easily be folded and sliced.
Condor plug, when sliced, requires a little 'roughing up' just to break it up a little. A brisk rub between the palms to loosen it will usually do the trick. Also, it does need slicing quite thinly if this is way you want to smoke it.
Personally, I either rub the b'jesus out of it (no drying time needed), or slice and cube. When doing the latter I use some of the former to create a bed for the cubes to sit on, and to top it off. Once going, it's sublime. As noted, it does expand quite a bit, so pack very loosely. Finally, I find a tall, narrow, tapering chamber best facilitates this method with this particular plug.

andystewart

Lifer
Jan 21, 2014
Welcome to the forums oldreddog! I find that slices retain their overall flavour profile better and last longer if not rubbed out, particularly complex blends like Gaslight. HOWEVER I haven't smoked Condor Plug and even if I had, I would bow to Klause's vastly superior knowledge and experience in this. As Woodsroad said, just follow Klause's advice in this and you're there!
Andy

May 31, 2012
Listen to Klause, he is knowing!
+1

:!:
Yep.
I prefer cube cut and mostly do it that way.
Welcome to the forums!
I also love plugs the most,

you are lucky to be in Ireland as that's where all the good plugs are!
We can't exactly get them so easily here in the States...

bentmike

Lifer
Jan 25, 2012
I usually prep my plug like you described. Thin shaves and rub it out a bit. Welcome to the forum!

jpberg

Lifer
Aug 30, 2011
All plugs are dense creatures, and, when fresh, not amenable to many "creative" packing methods. A very thin slice, or a cubed cut are your best bets.

In actuality, if you can find an agreeable shag (Kendal Kentucky or the ilk) to top the bowl off (and create a good hot start), you will be in terrific shape.

oldreddog

Sep 4, 2014
Thank you very much gents for the kind advice, Klause, I'll be putting your method into practice this evening.
Indeed Mister LC Ireland is great for plugs, but having bought my first tobaccos in France/Andorra, I'm a bit shocked by prices here, and very envious of what you pay in the States.
I tried some Bosun Plug last night, my first Lakeland plug. Very Unusual, reminded me of Lokum/Turkish Delight. I did really enjoy the bowl though.

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
I usually dice or cut plug into pieces and pull it apart with my fingers. If you don't want a thousand relights, the pieces need be small. I think cutting it into small shavings would also work though I've not tried it.

oldreddog

Sep 4, 2014
Thanks Mike and other posters. With what I've learned from the above my plug smoking has improved tremendously, in fact I'm done to about half a dozen relights

:lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.