PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

madox07

Lifer
Dec 12, 2016
Do you any guys that keep in touch with the website owner, have any clue if they intend on having a mobile app made for the forum?? Browsing the website from a mobile device, when on the go, can be a head ache...

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
Good luck with this subject. Lol. I’ve tried in the past as well. I’d be happy if it were compatible with Tapatalk to make it more phone friendly. Most of the responses I got were, “it works just fine on my phone.”

unkleyoda

Lifer
Aug 22, 2016
Your mom\\\'s house
when-old-people-use-technology_o_708884.jpg

I agree, this forum is so very archaic, It's kind of funny.
All you are going to hear is, "works fine for me", "why fix something that's not broken".
I'm guessing it would cost actual money.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
Why would anyone want to view this site on their phone? I am always on my lap top and the place works just fine. Now get off my grass ya jag offs. :nana:

lotharen

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 26, 2016
I have asked this before too. I don't think that the integration for tapatalk costs money. I'm a member of a gaming organization that is run off of donations and they are available on tapatalk.
Okay, I checked it out. Tapatalk uses a forum plugin. There is a tier for services and there is a free version.
Here is the link: https://tapatalk.com/start-here.php

tuold

Lifer
Oct 15, 2013
Beaverton,Oregon
It does work fine on my phone. An android phone is my only internet access.
I guess it depends on how you define "works". Tapatalk sites I can read on my phone with one hand by just scrolling with my thumb. Links are large enough to also tap with my thumb. It's just a lot easier. There's no sliding the page around looking for page buttons or constantly pinch zooming and expanding.
I've seen ads for a service that duplicates web sites for mobile viewing. It automatically detects and sends users to the proper version. I have no idea how much that costs or if it would be worth the cost. I imagine having ads display in a way sponsors would like is also a factor.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
This will probably be a suggestion which won't gain any footing. I think the dissatisfied members should get together, explore the options through PMs and then, address the situation directly with the owner of the site. In this manner you will most likely get satisfactory/unsatisfactory answers from Kevin. But, you will get answers I suspect.

I've looked at a few forums that use Tapatalk. If I had to use that format, I'd just find somewhere else to hang out. I'm not sure what it has to offer that would appeal to someone. I can see this one just fine on my phone, with way less headache. Besides, there are already pipe forums that use that format. Maybe I am just more iPhone tech savvy than the kiddos, ha ha. :puffy:

mcitinner1

Lifer
Apr 5, 2014
Missouri
I'm with Harris, and I'm glad I don't have to use a phone to browse the web. My 17" laptop is nice and BIG.

I said BIG. :mrgreen:

admin

Smoking a Pipe Right Now
Staff member
Nov 16, 2008
St. Petersburg, FL
pipesmagazine.com
Short answer: I'll see what I can do.
Longer answer:
When the site was first built, back in late 2008, mobile internet browsing wasn't a thing yet. (Currently 35% of our traffic is from mobile.)
This site, like many, uses WordPress as its platform, and uses BuddyPress (not so popular like WP) for the forums.
At some point in the first year of the site, I hired a developer to create some additional functionalities I wanted.
In doing so, he created a huge problem that I didn't know about until after he was long gone.
To add functionalities to a WordPress site, you should create a "PlugIn" - a separate batch of code that then connects to the site that can be turned on and off and not have an effect on the main "core" of WP.
Instead, he re-wrote the core code, which makes it impossible to upgrade WP. This site is running on version 2.8, while the current WP is on 4.9.1.
It is a massive project to undertake, and quite tricky to not bring the site down.
With an up-to-date WP, having a mobile version is easy.
Here is what I am going to do as a potential compromise depending on the cost.
For now, the WP issue will be left alone, but I will see what it takes to change the forums to a different platform, one that supports Tapatalk.
That is a tricky feat as well - having to merge databases without losing anything. The other huge issue is when all of the urls change and we lose tons of rankings in Google.
Plus, everybody here having to learn a new system.
I'm talking myself out of it as I type.
Better idea: See if my developer can create our own Tapatalk to work with the current BuddyPress forum platform.

ashdigger

Lifer
Jul 30, 2016
Vegas Baby!!!
My .02 worth. I view the forum on my Android phone, my Android tablet, my iPad, my Windows 10 computer and a Rugged Windows 7 computer and I don't have any gripes. It's just something to get used to. My vote is don't change, but I'm a nobody in the grand scheme of things.

Status
Not open for further replies.