PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

bluesmoke

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 21, 2013
Lots of bowls being lit to toast your good health--I'll smoke one more for you. Here's to your health, present and future!

ccarter

Lurker
Dec 12, 2013
I am required to do an annual physical for work. They asked if I smoke, so I explained my pipe smoking. They said that doesn't count, I'm not a smoker.
Here's to your good health gentlemen!

northernstar

Lurker
Aug 2, 2014
While this is an old post, it is nice to hear this :) As a new pipe smoker, worrying about my health from a hobby I enjoy very much is a bit of a downside, but according to this, everything should be fine. If you don't mind me asking, how many bowls do you smoke in a week?

12pups

Lifer
Feb 9, 2014
Minnesota
Very good news, Puffy.
Northernstar, everything is a risk. The lowest risk lifestylers do not drive over the speed limit, camp out in mosquito or tick season, put kayaks in running water, or get married. But people survive these things, according to statistics.
We make these choices based on the reward they give, weighing the risk and making our bets.
My great-grampa smoked cigarettes. Not only did he outlive most of his doctors, but on his 93rd birthday, he did a hop up onto the gymnasium stage using just one hand.
I have a number of physical considerations he didn't have. So I only smoke pipes. I usually don't have more than four bowls in a day. I don't smoke every day. I try not to inhale tar deep into my lungs. And... I place my bet.
I'm happy. But if I get a smoking-related illness, I can't say I wasn't warned.
I think that's a fair assessment.

tuold

Lifer
Oct 15, 2013
Beaverton,Oregon
ae1pt said:
But in the real world, there are a statistically significant number of horrible health and DEATH outcomes for pipe smokers
While I suspect this is true, I haven't been able to find any real studies to confirm it. One that came close was a study of pipe smokers who inhaled the tobacco into their lungs, so I think that one should be thrown out. Another used subjects who smoked all day up to an estimated eight to ten bowls a day. I don't think too many of us fit into that category either.
Have there been any studies done over the years regarding casual pipe smoking?

Mar 1, 2014
I'm fairly certain a study of casual pipe smokers who don't inhale has never been done. It's unfortunate that so many do prefer to inhale, if that were not the case then you could confidently say that pipe smoking as a whole is entirely different from cigarettes.

Right now I don't like using the pipe two days in a row just because it makes my mouth sore, but my goal in the long term is to have absolutely no health effects from the pipe, so once a week I like to wait the required 72 hours needed to clear nicotine out of your system.

Two bowls a week is my cut off for saying that I'm effectively as good as not having touched a pipe.

settersbrace

Lifer
Mar 20, 2014
Excellent health report! I'm glad to hear it and recently while talking with my doctor he quietly revealed that a recent symposium he attended revealed that the onset of COPD is NOT really always attributed to smoking,(cigs). This leaves him questioning the mindset he has long held about cigar and pipe smokers. Genetics play a bigger role in heart related disease and for those predisposed to it are certainly more likely to accelerate the onset of problems if they smoke cigarettes but not so much if they occasionally smoke a cigar or pipe providing they don't inhale. There are those that will cover their ears when presented with this argument and that's fine.

gtclark

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 3, 2013
Had he casually smoked a pipe, I am sure that would have been an Aha! factor.
Exactly. People get diagnosed with cancer and heart disease every day (they're the two top causes of death in the US and have been for some time). The moment it's discovered that person uses or has ever used tobacco products, that automatically becomes the reason for the problem. Never mind all the other environmental factors - smoke trumps them all! When a guy who sits at a desk for 8 hours a day, doesn't exercise, eats danishes for breakfast, and smokes a pipe every evening gets heart disease, the first thing everyone will blame is the pipe...
Smoking is not healthy. It's like eating bacon. If you eat bacon all the time, it will have an effect on your body. If you otherwise eat healthy foods, exercise and take care of your body, you can eat bacon in moderation and you'll be fine. The same goes for pipe smokers - the more vices you have, the more likely one of them is going to kill you, and food and lack of exercise is more likely to be the death of you, all things considered.

tuold

Lifer
Oct 15, 2013
Beaverton,Oregon
@ae1pt, you are a man of reason, a dying breed these days. It truly is all about statistics and actuarial tables. We weigh the risks and we make our informed decisions based on science.
I'm fast approaching sixty years old myself and have lived a fairly responsible lifestyle while taking care of my family. Now that those duties are mostly discharged I feel I can indulge in one risky pleasure during my golden years. Within the next 20 years or so something is going to cause the end of me. It may be because of the one bowl a day of tobacco I enjoy, but statistically...well... I doubt it.

Status
Not open for further replies.