a pipe for my private collection... made out of St. Lucie cherry wood...

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mukihr

Might Stick Around
Jun 27, 2011
few weeks ago i got a piece of very interesting wood - St. Lucie cherry wood (Prunus Mahaleb)... i was searching through the web and found it can be used (and is used too) for pipemaking ... the shank extension is Field Maple (Acer campestre) - a very hard wood, hard to sand...

so, 2 days ago i made myself a new pipe... :) the shape is very easy one - just to be made fast and to check the qualities of the wood... no carnauba, just polishing...

first smoke was Stanislav Balkan Latakia... not so bad i must say... the second smoke was Peterson Old Dublin... very very nice...

the chamber is 22mm in dia and 32mm deep... the pipe itself is 147mm long.. :)

i would like to hear opinions related wood used .. it is very hard, gets a bit warmer than a briar pipe might get with the same size and thickness (but this is just slightly) and smokes preety much the same as briar :)... would you like to try a pipe made with that material or even to buy the pipe made from that material???

i really do like it :)
2hmfs5u.jpg

dh9thc.jpg

23rv58o.jpg

2usy5p5.jpg

23koev9.jpg

20a724x.jpg

5nkphe.jpg

mukihr

Might Stick Around
Jun 27, 2011
thank you Lawrence :) - what do you think about the wood??... i have seen a few pipemakers to use it... it is not a standard wood for pipemaking - probably because briar looks nicer but it smokes just the same as briar... :) i will test it for weeks to see how she behaves but so far she is GOOOD :P

mukihr

Might Stick Around
Jun 27, 2011
thank you Sir - have just seen your pipe rests and tampers... really a beautiful job done!!!

pstlpkr

Lifer
Dec 14, 2009
Birmingham, AL
I have 4 pipes of wood other than briar.

Three are very good smokers, and are made from cherry.

But, they tend to flavor the smoke.

The fourth is MM Hardwood... :(

mukihr

Might Stick Around
Jun 27, 2011
hmmmm... St.Lucie cherry is in fact a sort of rose more than a cherry - she is called that way because of the fruits she has... i have not noticed any flavour when smoking this one - the wood seems to be fairly neutral even if having a really nice smell while sanding down - not sure how this is possible - not to "feel" the other wood shen smoking even when she is smelling so nice while sanding... strange... i could dettect different tastes of briar - but one is just smoking good... no aditional flavours i can detect...

maybe this heat is to blame for not sensing to much - i really don't know...

mukihr

Might Stick Around
Jun 27, 2011
@arthur - thank you dear Sir - your Hobbit babies are also very very nice :) like the work a lot...!

tslex

Lifer
Jun 23, 2011
The wood is lovely, especially given that you state that the finish is from polishing only. That's impressive.
I am not a guy who likes freehand pipes as a rule, and I'm not typically a fan of light-color finishes. Yet I find this one very appealing. (Looks almost like the knuckle bone off of some great beast.)
It will be interesting to see how it breaks in -- will it cake like a briar.
Very nice work.

mukihr

Might Stick Around
Jun 27, 2011
thank you dear Sir...

the third smoke went even better than the second one - Peterson Old Dublin... the cake is building nicely... i am very very happy... seems to me that this wood is very very good for pipemaking... at least Old Dublin is so good out of it i can hardly believe it... :) she is an Old Dublin pipe for sure (or at least a Latakia based tobacco pipe)... hhehehhehehehehe.... :)

oh, she keeps burning without a problem - i was smoking today and put my pipe on the desk, went to do something, came back and wanted to relight the pipe... but, she was still burning.. it seems to me that she holds heat better than briar... :) nice... :)
regards and i will keep you posted....

dd951

Can't Leave
Jun 18, 2010
I love the light color of the wood, and if the pipes were not too expensive I would be A buyer. Now to your work, it is awesome, I love it. I can't beleive we have so many talented folks on this forum, but I am glad we do :clap:

romeowood

Lifer
Jan 1, 2011
The Interwebs
I love the look of it, both the sculptural element and the wood itself. What's the weight on that, mukihr? And an acrylic stem & blue ring, I am guessing?

irish

Lifer
Aug 12, 2011
Texas
Love the wood. Like the light color, and as for the shape it is out of this world. Have looked at some of your pipes, love the non traditional shapes. Very, Very nice.

stryder

Might Stick Around
Aug 24, 2011
Great thing about freehands is they can also be used as personal defense weapons!

Ps

shaintiques

Lifer
Jul 13, 2011
Georgia
Yes I like the shape as well. I also have a couple of pipes that are not briar and both are good smokes. I'm not sure what one is made of as I bought it in Ukraine years ago and back then I didnt think toask what it was made from. But my buddy just brought me a pipe from Bulgaria that is either cherry or some other fruit wood. I've only smoked it once so far but the walls of the bowl are very thick so it keeps an even temp and has a good draw. We'll see how it holds up over the long haul. It sounds like if your wood comes from a rose of some type that it may have some briar characteristics as roses tend to be hearty plants.

mukihr

Might Stick Around
Jun 27, 2011
I love the light color of the wood, and if the pipes were not too expensive I would be A buyer. Now to your work, it is awesome, I love it. I can't beleive we have so many talented folks on this forum, but I am glad we do [:clap:]
she was made for my personal collection... but there will be more made from this wood as it seems that this baby is a smoker! :)
I love the look of it, both the sculptural element and the wood itself. What's the weight on that, mukihr? And an acrylic stem & blue ring, I am guessing?
the weight is 80gr... :) a baby monster :P :P heheheheh... yes, it is an acrylic stem and a blue ring also made from acrylic bar material... :) i would post a link to the data but would not want to get problems with moderators... she is not for sale - she is just mine... the rules on this forum are a bit more strict than usual (which is good) so i will wait for the link until my Selling thread is one week old - just to be sure (however, dear Romeowood, i will be so free to PM you the link for those data's on my homepage - tNd tobacco pipes).. :)
Great thing about freehands is they can also be used as personal defense weapons!

Ps
you are right dear Sir... here this is just the case :P :P :P heheheheheh
Yes I like the shape as well. I also have a couple of pipes that are not briar and both are good smokes. I'm not sure what one is made of as I bought it in Ukraine years ago and back then I didnt think toask what it was made from. But my buddy just brought me a pipe from Bulgaria that is either cherry or some other fruit wood. I've only smoked it once so far but the walls of the bowl are very thick so it keeps an even temp and has a good draw. We'll see how it holds up over the long haul. It sounds like if your wood comes from a rose of some type that it may have some briar characteristics as roses tend to be hearty plants.
they use pear wood sometimes.. maybe you have one from pearwood.. :) St.Lucie cherry (from what i know) is in the group of plants similar to roses... but, she is called cherry because of those aromatic fruits she has... certainly an interesting wood that grows on the sea... very hard, very reliable from what i can see... i read somewhere that sometimes in past, they made cannons out of that wood... :P :P :P heheheehh...
guys - thank you for your comments - so nice of you... regards, daniel

Status
Not open for further replies.